5 Habits That Will Benefit You Throughout College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Here are five habits that will help you stay happy, healthy and positive throughout your crazy college experience!

Make time for things you enjoy: No, staying up into the late hours of the night sweating over your math book will not be the best time of your life. And unfortunately with college, comes a lot of hard work. But life is about balance and four years is too long to stress all night and study all day, so take breaks in between school work to do things that make your heart happy. Think of a plan that works for you, like I’ll go to the mall with the roomies after I finish two chapters of this book, or schedule your Wednesdays as a movie night with your friends. Don’t get distracted-stay on track because the sooner you start, the sooner you finish and the sooner you get to have a memorable night with the ones that make you laugh instead of cry like your math book does.

BE HEALTHY: I know — ice cream is really what makes us all happy. And it is most definitely okay to treat yourself. Greasy foods and too much caffeine may sound good and delicious in the moment… but will weigh you down, make you irritable and cause your attitude to crash later in the day. Don’t cut out everything you enjoy, by all means still go on that 1 a.m. icecream run with your roommates but in the morning try drinking a Naked Juice instead of a White Chocolate Mocha — it will be refreshing and get you those nutrients your body needs to help you feel good all day! When your body feels good so do you.

KEEP A JOURNAL: As cliche as it sounds, keeping a journal is creative way to get out all of your feelings from the day. So go to Michaels or Target and find the cutest sparkly pink notebook and set of neon gel pens you can, lay in your bed at night and doodle your heart out. Mad that the boy behind you in speech hasn’t talked to you yet? Totally stoked over that A you got in econ? Write about it in your journal before you go to sleep to reflect on your day and mentally prepare yourself for all of the adventures you have waiting ahead of you tomorrow. Maybe you’ll look at it in a few years and either be totally embarrassed—mostly because the boy in speech was a total jerk—or glad you have something to remind you of how awesome your college years were.

Get out of your room: Fresh air is great for your attitude and great for making memories. Netflix nights are not the ones you will remember, but the ones you go out on campus or around town are. Going for a scenic hike, taking a spontaneous beach trip and walking downtown with friends are great ways to get out and about! So get out of your stuffy room and stop binge watching Pretty Little Liars, because your best memories will be the ones you share with others doing things you won’t be able to do as often when you have a family and full time job.

Take care of your relationships: Relationships are some of the most important things that college students deal with. Your relationship with your family and friends should all be held close to your heart. Your family is and will always be your biggest support system. Go home to see them, you don’t have to go every weekend, but take the time to show them you still care about them even though there is a party going on. Stay connected with long time friends. There is a reason you have been friends since middle school so invite them over to your dorm on the weekends, go see them at their school and don’t neglect your BFF because you’re too busy.

Brooke is an aspiring journalist attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. She has a knack for all things adventurous and food related. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or the Campus Times you can find her taking pictures of her award-winning cat or eating various types of cheese.
Kristina Bugante is the Campus Correspondent for HC La Verne. She is currently finishing her final year at the University of La Verne and will receive a B.A. in journalism in the spring of 2016. In addition to Her Campus, Kristina is a staff photographer for her school's publications and a news intern for a Los Angeles television news station. When she's not living and breathing journalism, Kristina likes funny Vines, food, catching up on her YouTube subscriptions and singing quietly to herself in her car.