When Was the Last Time We Were Comfortable in Our Own Skin?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

*watch video before reading – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0tEcxLDDd4 

The video above discusses the very important topic of body positivity while also showing the problem of when it starts. As the video ends, a very important question appears on the screen: When was the last time we were comfortable in our own skin?  

Being body positive can be one of the hardest things a person can do in life. We are our harshest critic. It is easy to look in the mirror and find every single little flaw. One thing to realize is that, most of the time, we are the only one who sees these flaws. What one person can hate about themselves, another person can love.

In the video, when the adults and children were asked about the one thing they would change about their body, there is a stark contrast between the two groups of people answering. Many of the adult’s answer saying how they could change their forehead, or their eyes, some say how tall they are. When the video gets to the children they begin to describe how they would like a mermaid tale, or teeth like a shark, and one young girl states that she doesn’t want to change anything about her body and that she likes her body.

These children exude the confidence that some wish they had. They look in the mirror and appreciate the way they look. This video brings up the powerful message that we were once all body positive and somewhere along the way that changed.

The idea that once children go through puberty there is a change in their body, but also a change in their attitude as well. Many aspects about their body that they once didn’t mind are now, socially, unacceptable. There is a standard that people home their bodies too and it’s not right.

One thing to learn is that everyone’s body is different and that’s okay. This concept that having to change our bodies to fit an imaginary standard is unhealthy. This attitude should change. One way to start is to find positive things about your body instead of always looking to the negative. Instead of complaining you have cellulite say you like the way your body jiggles a little. Even if you are lying at first, this positive attitude will make you believe it more and more every day. Not only will this affect that way you look at yourself, but it could also affect the way other children grow up thinking about themselves. The change in the way you look at your body happens at some point and if young children hear you speak positively about yourself this can help them think positively about themselves too.

Accepting who you are and loving yourself is the most important aspect of wanting to live a healthy life. So, next time you look in the mirror, instead of finding something negative that you want to change about yourself, try finding something that you love. Soon it won’t be so hard to find.