This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Over the weekend, I attended a reggae music concert with my boyfriend in Philadelphia. Put your stereotypical mindset of reggae music behind you for this. It’s not pot smoking, dreadheads who wear Bob Marley T-shirts and play music that you think you’d only hear in Jamaica. It’s much more than that. Reggae music is about finding unity in music, in being yourself regardless of who you are and accepting all the people around you.

At this concert, I was honored to be in the presence of reggae musician, opening act Nattali Rize. Prior to the concert, I had heard of her but never her music. Rize breaks the stereotype of not only reggae musicians, but also female performers. Her music is empowering to all people. She has a powerful, unique voice that rings though the crowd. She breaks the typical female performer stereotype because she focuses on the music rather than her own image. She gave credit to her band, got down and dirty and played the drums, and sang an inspiring message to be aware of the issues society is faced with conscious rebel lyrics.

The music, message and intention transcends all that divide us, forgets the borders and waters. The movement is to ignite the great remembrance of who we are, our collective power, what we can be, to break the mental conditioning and find full freedom in this lifetime. (from Nattali Rize’s website)

Rize uses her platform and voice for a movement of truth in justice in a system that exploits people and our planet. During her performance, I not only enjoyed her music but also was nearly moved to tears during her empowering monologues about the state of the world and how we can improve by finding the light in ourselves and others.

“Our intention with our music is to ignite that memory in ourselves of our individual and collective power to live life to the fullest and recognize ourselves and each other as evolving beings of light. A reality of Full Freedom is a possibility on this earth and in these times. We use music to sound frequencies infused with this idea, and to resonate at a higher level than what is currently being permeated across current world culture. People are powerful; we want them to reclaim that power and no longer be servants to a system that has never, and will never, serve them to their fullest potential. As such, our frequency in this system is a rebel …  Rebel Music, Rebel Frequencies we deal with!”

– Nattali Rize

Rize isn’t the only reggae musician who has a powerful message. Most reggae tunes uplift and empower, and put a smile on your face; nothing can beat that! Music is intended to heal and can do just that if you allow it.

Check out one of her songs here 

Nattali Rize’s new album, Rebel Frequency releases March 24, 2017

This article is dedicated to my boyfriend, Aaron. Thanks for “dragging” me along to your concerts, because of you I have a newfound love and appreciation for reggae.

21 years old, always lost, but finding meaning in life in the little things. Give me a crappy cup of coffee, a laugh and a smile and we'll be friends. Love yourself.