This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

With all of this school work, papers, projects, and exams coming up there is not much time for anything else. As stressed out as I am, I still feel like I can get it done. But then I remember school is not my only responsibility this month. My mom’s 50th birthday is coming up and I am in charge of helping my dad plan her party. Have I ever planned a party before? Hell no. I am not cut out for this.

First was the invitation list. Not only did I have to come up with who to invite, I had to make sure I did not forget anyone important in my mom’s life. After feeling pretty confident about the list of over 200 people I made, I had to create the invitations and send them out. This meant I had to find all of these peoples’ addresses. With the help of Facebook and my dad, I successfully mailed out the invitations.

Now that the party is around the corner, I have to work out the fine details. Food, drinks, music, decorations, etc. all go into this party planning process. My dad and I worked together to find a caterer for the food, book a place that offers a bar and drinks, order the cake, print out 100 pictures to make a collage, and find decorations. We both agreed that planning a party was a fulltime job and a lot of time, effort, and energy went into it.

My mom has been putting these parties together for everyone in my family for as long as I can remember. From birthday parties and graduation parties to family reunions, she has planned them all. Alone she has always made the invitations, got all the food, and decorated everything herself. I have a new found appreciation for all she has done for me. Party planning was such a small part of all she did in raising my sister, brother, and I. Planning a big party like this is hard. I know that now. I am glad I got to partake in this planning process, aside from all the other stresses in my life, and I hope she has the best 50th birthday party ever.