This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Dear Lily Bug, 

You have brought so much joy into our world when our family needed it the most. I don’t think you will ever understand just how much you have impacted our hearts. Growing up, I always wanted a little sister, someone that would one day look up to me and believe that I was the best person to ever walk this earth. That is exactly how you see me, and I cannot thank you enough. You were so tiny but with a big heart and even bigger personality.

Right now, everything is simple. You believe every little joke is hilarious. You think your dad is the best hero you could ever know, and you are never afraid to say that your mom is your best friend. You’re so close to your sister, and I hope that your bond will always stay this strong. You still find boys to be gross and boring. You are kind to every person you meet, and you always stick up for those who get picked on. Every night you put on a show, dancing around the living room spinning in one of my dresses and a pair of heels that your tiny feet barely fit in. You give the best face expressions when telling a story or singing loudly in the car.

However, one day you won’t be that little girl anymore. One day you won’t be walking in heels that are way too big for your tiny feet with red lipstick plastered on your lips. It’s so simple right now; you never felt heartbreak or know what losing friends over small fights is like. You don’t know just how cruel people can be and how much words can affect the way you think about yourself. You have nothing to regret or know what it feels like to cry yourself to sleep over a boy.

One day, you will experience all of this. As much as I wish I could be by your side to protect you from all of this, I unfortunately can’t. One day, you will be in 8th grade, and you will come across certain people who may not always be as nice to you as you thought. Don’t let those people bring you down. Don’t allow yourself to get sucked into their negative words and make you think differently about yourself. You are an amazing little girl and will only become more wonderful. Don’t bring yourself down over words that do not define you because you are beautiful, strong and, most of all, loved.

High school is when the waters get rough. It’s a whole new world, and I hope you will walk graciously down those hallways with your head held high and a smile spread wide. In those four years, you will learn so much about life and all its hardship. One day you will know what it is like to no longer be friends with someone. You may lose this friend due to a fight, or maybe you both just lost that connection. Regardless, please, don’t let that one situation change who you are. Do not hold resentment in your heart toward that person. Of course, it will hurt to know that you are no longer friends, but remember that there was a reason for them to be a part of your life, even if it was for a short time. If this shall ever occur, I am only a phone call away. I will, without any hesitation , come, and get you and we can go for a drive while singing at the top of our lungs to “Better in Stereo” until you forget about the whole thing.

You will also probably experience your first heartbreak; hopefully, you will get lucky just like your mom and not experience this. However, if one day you find yourself sitting on the bathroom floor crying over a boy, remember that he is not worth the tears. You deserve a boy that will love all of you including your flaws.You deserve a boy who will always laugh with you about your jokes and allow you to continuously grow into the person you are meant to be. Don’t let one heartbreak make you feel any less important because you matter in this world, and you have a purpose. Boys can be cruel, and when they are, please, don’t let them diminish your shine. If you do happen to find yourself crying over him, you can always use my shoulder to cry on. We can sit in silence and listen to sad Taylor Swift songs for a little bit. When you are done, you will wipe the tears, stand up and brush yourself off. You will stand tall with a smile on your face because if some boy does not see your worth, then, believe me, he is not the one for you.

Until those moments come, enjoy the simple things in life. Enjoy the excitement you get when you see your dad pull up in the drive. Spend as much time with him as you can. Take advantage of those father-daughter school dances. Take in those moments you spend with him driving around and fishing.Enjoy mommy-daughter time. Appreciate those small trips to the mall and the shopping spree. Continue calling her your best friend and savor those movie dates she takes you on. Listen to her advice because they will come in handy one day.

One day, sharing a room with your sister may not seem cool, but, as of now, always enjoy the company. Have fun with the secrets you tell her. Always remind her how much you love her, and even though you fight, at the end of the day, don’t forget to give her a hug goodnight. You may not know it, but she looks up to you, just like you do to me.

Please don’t ever lose you shine. Keep being the funny little girl you are and never lose the person you are inside. Always love yourself and never compare yourself to anyone. You are your own unique person, and the world needs more people like that. Just don’t let the cruel world crumble you like a piece of paper; stand up and be proud of the person you are becoming. I know that I am. Lastly, remember that I will always be your number one fan and your side kick.

With love,

Aunt Mammy

May 5, 1995  Junior at Kutztown University Professional Writing Major Public Relations Minor Here are my favorite things  Fashion Sunflowers Horses and Dogs Love Handwritten Letters Coffee Thanksgiving  Cities Beaches Museums Vogue Magazine Black and White Flims The Colors Pink and Yellow