This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Every since I was a little girl, I had a yearning desire for tattoos. I was told I would have to wait until I was of age where I could sign for one on my own without paternal consent. Still, I pondered and dreamed of multiple designs I wanted to be inked and treasured onto my pale, porcelain canvas. Many years later, and at the rightful age of 20, I have only 3. But don’t be fooled, these 3 works of art mean the world to me.  I can strongly say that I will continue to acquire more designs throughout my lifetime. It’s the classic saying; “Once you get one, you already have a plan for the next one while walking out the door.” But to me, it must have a certain meaning.

A week and a half ago, I read an article about how 100+ women and men attended an event at their local tattoo shop inking the words “Nevertheless, she persisted” onto their bodies.  If you don’t know anything about this quote, it was spoken by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in reference towards Senator Elizabeth Warren. Warren was reading the words of Coretta Scott King when McConnell intervened, preventing her from finishing her speech. He continued by saying it violated the Senate’s rules of impugning another senator. He silenced her with the following quote, “She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.” The tattoo was priced at $75, with $55 going towards a non-profit Minneapolis organization that encourages pro-choice women to run for office.

While the quote was guided towards politics, it spread and became a ‘rattling cry’ for females and males around the country for a variety of reasons. It was first identified by the theme of women being commonly ignored or silenced by others. But it’s not the same for everyone. I, for one, am NOT heavily involved nor follow politics that greatly. I respect and believe everyone has the right to proclaim and follow who they believe is their ideal candidate. In my opinion, anyone can relate to these words. For me, it means pushing through the battles we endure in our lifetime. It is expected that each individual will face challenges in their life. Some will be easy, while others will be the most difficult. For me personally, my battles (so far) have been overcoming my parent’s divorce, coping with my anxiety and depression, and making it through each week at college. There are times I feel like giving up, quitting, and saying “I’m done.”  But I remind myself that every flower must grow through dirt. It is important to remind yourself how strong you are. Even at your weakest, you still are a beautiful individual who can dream and reach anything they put their mind that. 

The quote was tattooed on those for multiple reasons. I choose to have it on my body as a reminder. Though many may argue the actual meaning or why it would look better on a poster, it has impacted my life and has changed me. It means to me that through the good and bad, to push through the battle in order to grow and become stronger. It is remarkable how 3 simple words have inspired and created a movement. Though mine has no political affiliations, it will be the quote I will remember to tell my children, my loved ones, and everyone in my life going through hard times. I know I will proudly wear my tattoo and show it to others. I will explain to them the meaning and why it has impacted my life. It is a constant reminder that no matter what is thrown at you you can get through it.

Born in Scranton, PA, Cara is a marketing student at Kuztown University of Pennsylvania. She enjoys posting anything related to pugs, watching drama rom. movies, and eating a plethora of pizza.