To My College Guy Friends: Thank You For Sticking With Me These Past Four Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Well, here we are – five days away from graduating from the greatest experience of our lives; college. You have been with me through it all. Since my very first day at Kutztown University to my very last as an undergrad, you have stuck by my side and never left it. Even though it’s only been four years, I cannot imagine my life without you or understand how I made it 18 years without knowing you. You have kept me sane and accepted me for who I really am. You’ve never judged me or allowed my mistakes to define me. You’ve listened to me, truly listened. You’ve held me as I sobbed, and laughed by my side through every corny joke. You are the reason my college experience was so amazing. You five are the sole purpose as to how I survived college and have something to smile about when I reflect on these past four years. So, with this, I thank you: Jim, Tyler, Hunter, Matthew, and Michael.

Jim,

A man of few words, yet those words are always kind to me. While everything you say is sarcastic or making fun of someone, you’ve never spoken poorly to me. I can always rely on you for a good laugh. I’m so thankful for that one night freshman year when me, you, and Kevin sat in your room listening to music because that is when the Landslide tradition began. Thank you for always singing it with me — more like serenading me. While you listen to Fleetwood Mac and Paramore, then things escalate quickly with your screamo music. Thank you for being my entertainment source. Watching you sing at the top of your lungs while playing the air guitar and standing on top of a table is a life-changing site to see. I can always rely on those dances to give me a great laugh. You also have an impeccable taste for food. I can always rely on you to tell me about the great things I should eat at Taco Bell or Wendy’s. I am so appreciative for that (And Wendy’s 4 for 4). Jim, you are going to be so successful in the future and I cannot wait to hear about the great things you accomplish.

Tyler,

Toasty, Hondos, Ghosty, Roasty, Coachsty… the list of nicknames goes on. You are one of the sweetest guys I have ever met. You have such a big heart and care so heavily for your friends. I consider you the dad of the friend group. You’re goofy and know how to have fun, but you can also be stern and serious when necessary. You really care about your education and are so committed to your studies. Your hard work is inspiring. You’ve always been there for me whenever I need a friend, a good snuggle-sesh, or a good laugh. Thank you for allowing me to be the big spoon. Also, thank you for hanging out with me this past winter break when we both were losers and had to be here. That game we played at the pub was priceless – I won’t go into details because that is between us considering what deep dark secrets arose. Tyler, I am always laughing until I’m crying when I’m with you. You are just such a wonderful friend and person to be around. You always manage to brighten my day. The woman (me) who ends up with you will be the luckiest woman alive.

Hunter,

Let me begin by saying I’m sorry I convinced people for over a year that we were dating. And I’m sorry that my family is still asking when they are going to meet you. My bad. Hunter, you are such a remarkable person. You are so kind-hearted, so loving, and so dependable towards your friends. Most of all, you are so selfless. You always put your friend’s happiness above your own. I have never met anyone so caring and generous in my whole life. There are countless times I knew you were struggling immensely and just needed a friend, yet you helped one of us before fulfilling your needs. I am so lucky – no, luck isn’t even the word – I am beyond blessed to have someone as extraordinary as you are in my life. Aside from the beautiful soul you have, you are a goofball. I still hate you for wearing that visor, but you would wear it with such pride. You effortlessly make our friend group laugh so hard that we cannot breathe – whether it’s your contagious laugh, corny jokes, or losing your invisalign on multiple accounts (and finding it under the couch). Thank you for being you.

Matthew,

You are my rock. You are beyond wild and whenever I’m with you I know I’m guaranteed to have a good time. You are always down to have fun, and I cannot thank you enough for that. The days where I prefer to nap or to do homework, you never fail to text me and convince me otherwise. I’m so glad that you live so close to me at home because we are able to hang out back in Jersey and adventure to New York City or the beach. I’m sorry about that one time when you came over for the first time, so we could go to the beach and I had to pull over on the parkway illegally and throw up. You didn’t even allow me to feel embarrassed; we just kept blasting rap music and laughed hysterically. I’ve had a blast with you these past four years, but the fun is not over yet – not even close. Once we are back home we can begin to complete our NYC bucket list! I’ll never forgot that one night junior year where I was upset about some guy, (I know, me upset over a guy? Crazy) and you sent me this long text message telling me that I need to cheer up and to not be upset because I’m beautiful and a great person. I still have the screenshot of that message, and it never fails to make me smile – and sometimes cry. You truly are one of my best friends Matthew, and I cannot thank you enough for all that you have done for me these past four years.

Michael,

I don’t even know where to begin with you – you have been the greatest friend a girl … scratch that, anyone could ever have. Since the glory days in Lehigh hall you have been by my side. Thank you for the long talks – even though halfway through we typically get distracted and then end up hanging out for hours. I’m going to miss those talks, but that doesn’t mean we can’t facetime and just pretend we are together. Thank you for the best friend sleepovers – aside from that one time where we both ended up throwing up, but while you had a garbage can I vomited in your heater. Sorry about that. You’ve listened to all my problems for the past four years and never once judged me. I cannot thank you enough for that. You are such a dependable friend and such a kindhearted man. Seeing you grow over the past four years has been amazing. You are so committed to everything you do – whether it’s chugging cranberry vodkas or your studies. Even though I’m not happy with your choice of profession (considering you could get hurt), you are going to be an outstanding police officer. Please just don’t pull me over if I’m going over the speed limit. I promise to continue to blow up your phone with snapchats of Bonnie, as long as you make sure to never stop snapping me Missy, Pebbles, and Poppop. You are one of a kind, Michael Carr and to be able to say you’re my best friend is the greatest token from my college career. Even though you never leave Pennsylvania, I still love you. But you’re going to have to start making exceptions for me because you need to meet Bonnie and get to experience a night in Hoboken. You need to see the wonderful things New Jersey has to offer. And besides I’m going to miss your amazing dance moves, so I’ll need to see them every so often.

And Greg and Kevin, I cannot forget to mention you guys – you both played a huge role in regard to my amazing college experience. This past year has sucked without you and I miss you both tremendously. I am constantly rooting for you both as you tackle the real world, but now it’s our time to join you. Now, we can complain about taxes, making doctors’ appointments ourselves, loans, and how drinks are no longer $3.00 together.

I love each and every one of you so much and there are no words that can properly explain how much you all mean to me. Thank you for loving me unconditionally and dealing with my crazy ass.

Love always,

Jellyfish

Hello, I'm Jesse Coffey. I am a Secondary English Education major and Communication Studies minor. I am a member of the Gamma Gamma chapter of Theta Phi Alpha at Kutztown University. I love reading and writing during my spare time. I have the tendency to binge-watch television shows on Netflix in record breaking times. Napping is a personal hobby of mine. I'm obsessed with my dog Bonnie and take way too many pictures of her considering she's prettier than me.