This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

From giving birth to me to watching me graduate college, you have always been by my side. While I like to think that I’ve said thank you and I appreciate you, there will never be enough that I can do for you that will compare to what you’ve done for me.

You’ve been there for me in good times and in bad, happy times and in sad. I am the woman I am today because of you – you’ve shaped me into everything that I am and empowered me every single day. No matter what I thought I couldn’t do, you told me I could. No matter how hard I cried, you always picked me back up. No matter how anxious I was, you always made sure to talk to me. I truly believe that I would not be where I am today without everything that you’ve done for me. I wouldn’t want to walk across that stage at graduation without knowing that you were sitting there cheering me on.

I think I’ve told you, but the day you dropped me off at college I tried so hard not to cry. When you left though, I sat in my room and cried for hours. Knowing that you wouldn’t be a shout away, that I couldn’t annoy you so easily anymore was a hard concept for me to wrap my head around. For a lot of my life, I struggled to find friends, and honestly, I still do now. You were always there to tell me to keep my head up and to encourage me to be myself no matter what. You’ve always been honest with me and I value that more than anything. When I’m being dumb, you tell me and when I need guidance, you provide it. You always told me that it wasn’t your job to be my best friend, that it was your job to be my parent. Along the way though, you became my best friend. I can call anyone I want my best friend, but you’re truly the person that holds that title. A best friend is there for you through thick and thin and you’ve done just that. Even when we both got on each other’s nerves and we couldn’t stand to look at each other, I always knew that you loved me more than anything and that I loved you.

As so much of my life becomes uncertain, I have unwavering faith in your love and support. I couldn’t care less if I lived in a box, as long as you were by my side. I hope you know that I call you every day, not just to annoy you, but I can’t think of anyone else that I would want to talk to. Every time I leave for school, a part of my heart twinges because it is a strange feeling to leave someone you love so much. I hope you know that everything I do is because of you and that you’re my best friend. Thank you so much for everything then, now and later. You are an incredibly amazing woman and I hope I can be half of the woman that you are. I love you Mom.