How “Women Writers Around the World” Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

When I started at KU, I was insanely nervous and off of my game in terms of collegiate life.  I didn’t realize how hard acclimating would be after being out of school for three years.  Kutztown was a completely new environment for me and I wanted to perform at my best.

For the past few semesters, I have commuted to school, and boy is it draining.  To get to campus is about an hour, which is easier with music, audiobooks and podcasts; yet, I felt as though I was missing out on the college experience.  Between the commute and working every other day of the week, I felt disconnected and at arm’s length.

This semester was different.  I was feeling a bit more confident after a year.  My classes were spread throughout the week, but I wasn’t working back home at night, which allowed me to engage outside of classes more than ever.  At the tail end of summer, I started writing for the Arts & Entertainment section of the Keystone newspaper, granting me an opportunity to write reviews about what I love.  Yet, the one class that would change everything was “Women Writers Around the World.”

What’s really funny to me is I technically wasn’t supposed to be in this class; it was full.  But there was a deep yearning in my to be a part of this class.  Perspectives of women writers from around the globe..?  Oh, hell-to-the-yes.  Thankfully, I was given permission to join, because I don’t know where I’d be without this experience. 

Once I arrived to ENG 278 on the first day of classes, my hands were a-shakin’.  My fear was that I would come off as an imposter, someone taking the class for an “easy A,” which couldn’t have been farther from the truth.  I was looking forward to being completely present, reading perspectives that were not mine and seeing the world through the eyes of brilliant female writers.

I saw a room full of strong and passionate people and I purely hoped to join the conversations and help amplify the present energy.  Dr. Clemens is one of the most empowering professors I have had the pleasure of learning from.  To thank her doesn’t feel like enough.  She has offered me some of the greatest opportunities an aspiring writer and activist could ask for.  I’ve met so many amazing folks and participated in fantastic events and I am beyond humbled and inspired by her.

One of the greatest gifts this class offered was in introducing me to the HerCampus team.  Up until this semester, I had no idea this platform existed.  When Christina announced they were looking for writers, something in my gut said, do it, take it, and if it wasn’t for this blog, I would still be stuck in my box of identity dysphoria.  There are so many incredible voices who utilize their talents to speak out for what they believe in.  I’ve forged friendships that I pray will last the rest of my life, because their souls shine far brighter than any light bulb in the world.

I want to thank Dr. Clemens and my friends in ENG 278.  You have helped me take my first tentative steps toward understanding my genuine self.  I’ve garnered important insight into the female experience and I am indebted to you for your patience and friendship.  You’ve allowed me a space where I am not only able to share my story, but also help encourage progressive discourse in a time where so many feel voiceless.  I thank you all from the very bottom to the very top of my heart for everything you’ve done to make my life better at the end of 2017.  Every single day I find myself blown away by your passion, adversity, and utter power.

Salutations! My name is Tyler and welcome to my HerCampus page. Within, you will find all manner of conversations concerning gender, identity, as well critiques and challenges of toxic masculinity and male privilege. I also discuss trans rights, and highlight some books/media by creators outside of the straight white canon. I hope you find something you like!