This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Ever since Perrie Edwards, from the girl group “Little Mix”, dyed her hair pastel pink back in 2013, I have always wanted to do the same to my very own head of hair. I have always loved how it looked and how effortlessly she was able to pull it off. I kept telling myself “one day you will do it,” but it seemed like that day would never come; I would never get the confidence to do such a thing.

After a constant battle in my head to just do it now because I am young and why not, but also the argument that I may hate it on myself, I finally came to a decision. I would do semi-permanent pastel pink highlights in my blonde tips from my ombre. Semi-permanent hair dye is a wash in-wash out type of thing. It is non-commitment and non-damaging, it seemed like the ideal solution.

I have colored my hair a number of times, but nothing so out there as pink before. Once I was situated in the hair salon I go to in my hometown, although I felt terrified, I was so excited to have gained the confidence to do this. As I was sitting there with crazy foils wrapped around my hair, a Little Mix song played on the radio, it seemed just right, that I was supposed to be doing this. The turnout was fantastic.

I loved the pink so much and so did all my family and friends. As it is now fading out from my washes, it has faded to a nice rose gold color. I have already made another appointment to get the pink in a permanent dye because of how obsessed with it I was.

The moral to my story is: change up your hair if you want to, and a semi-permanent dye is the perfect thing to do if you want a fun change up, but for cheap and no damage. It sits completely on the top of your hair follicle, so nothing can be damaged.

I am so happy that I did something I have wanted to do since I was a freshman in high school. As a sophomore in college, I finally let myself do this, and I know that 15 year old me would have been so happy to know that one day I was truly going to do this. Although it may be something as small as pink hair, it is still a personal achievement of the confidence I have gained in the past few years, and I am so thankful for that. 

Sabrina Stewart

Kutztown '20

Hi! My name is Sabrina and I am a communication major with a focus in media studies with a minor in a public relations and new media/digital communication here at KU! I am the Events Coordinator for the KU chapter this year! I love fashion, NYC, quotes, book characters, ice cream, exploring, and many many other things. I also tend to drink an excessive amount of lattes.