This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

“Cats aren’t just pets to me, they’re a part of the family,” says long-time cat lover Jason Williamson. He spoils his cats and has the mindset that if he were to purchase them, he would give them the best life they could have. Jason prefers his cats over people sometimes; people are “crabby,” as he puts it, but cats are always happy to see you. Jason is one of the many cat lovers that live across our planet, but where did it all start? 

Worshiping of cats dates back to the Egyptians. They often had rats, snakes, and scorpions in their houses who would destroy their crops. Cats became the protectors because they would eat these animals and protect the Egyptian’s homes. Cats would sleep on their pillows and protect the people from small venomous animals. Several Egyptian Gods resembled cats, such as Mafdet and later, Bastet. These Goddesses were viewed as protectors of the home and Egypt itself, guarding it from invasion. 

The Egyptians domesticated cats and ultimately viewed them as family members. Followers of Bastet treated their cats like children, and they would mummify their cats after they died. People today don’t mummify their cats, but they often treat their cats like family. Cats are viewed as little people who have their own thoughts and expressions. They can sense when their humans are sick, and they stay near them until they get better. Cats give off signs of deep affection and they often let their owners know that they are not alone. 

Cats can give and receive affection like any other human being, but there is more science behind the powers a cat has on a person. Cats have been scientifically proven to lower stress. When a person looks at a cat, their brain releases dopamine and serotonin, neurotransmitters that release senses of happiness. According to Dr. John Amodeo, featured in Psychology Today, cats also help release oxytocin, which is associated with the feeling of being in love. 

Cats release neurotransmitters that makes people happy, but what about them do people find so amusing? Aside from having their own personalities, they do weird stuff. They knock items off tables, whether it be keys, water bottles, cups, or pens. They try to squeeze into tiny boxes, and they like to sit on your clothing (especially black clothing). Some cats like to sit in open drawers and they’ll come to you when you’re getting dressed in the morning, just to see if you’ll open your drawer. Cats are entertaining, and this makes people happy. 

In addition, cats are adorable. Kittens seem irresistible and innocent. Cats are soft, have big, colorful eyes, and small, pink noses. They are appealing animals and they give this overall essence of cute. Their appearances plus their actions make them inviting animals who make people feel good. If their appearance doesn’t attract you, maybe a personal story will. 

Long time cat lover Connie Bartos explains her love for cats. She’s been around cats as long as she can remember, and she currently has 3 cats. She believes that cats have improved her mental health and she considers her cats as members of the family. She adores cats and remains happy with them in her life. About 20 years ago, her one cat died, and she fell into a depressive state. She felt empty and as if she had no reason to get up in the morning. “They look around and bother you until you feed them. If there’s no one to feed in the morning, what’s the point of getting up?” Even though Connie is a cat enthusiast, she does not watch cat videos. She is a middle-aged woman who rarely uses social media. Although it seems like cats are taking over the internet, perhaps watching cat videos is more of a hobby for the younger generation.

Melissa Transue is 23 and she’s been around cats all of her life. She is not as passionate about cats as Connie, but she does enjoy having them around. She prefers cats because they are independent and aren’t reliant on their owners. Of course, you still need to feed your cat and change their litter box, but they require a lot less attention than for instance, dogs. 

Now, before we get into the cats versus dogs battle, we need to address cats taking over the internet. As of 2015, the BBC claims that there are over 2 million cat videos on YouTube. They have become one of the most searched for things on the internet. Some cats have become famous from being featured on the internet––Grumpy Cat, is one that comes to mind. In a study from Indiana University, Assistant Professor Jessica Gall Myrick asked 7,000 people how they felt before and after watching cat videos. The results showed that people felt happier after watching these videos and they felt less stressed out. 

It seems that today’s society enjoys wasting time on the internet to block out or put a hold on their stressful lives. Watching cat videos makes people happier, and in a busy, stressful world, perhaps that is just what one needs. But not only have cat videos made people happier, they’ve also brought people together. The Internet Cat Video Festival started in 2012 as a joke but became a huge deal for cat enthusiasts. Thousands of people gather to watch internet cat videos, and oftentimes the attendees are dressed up as cats. This is a moving cat festival with various locations throughout the year. 

Another cat festival is CatCon held in California. This is a relatively new festival, but it is an annual festival informing people about cats. Their mission is to spread joy and happiness to cats and the people who love them. They also advocate for people to adopt cats rather than buying them from the stores. According to their website, over 40,000 people from around the globe came together in 2015, 2016, and 2017. 

There are some very passionate cat lovers out there, passionate enough to have festivals and celebrations. However, let’s return to the cat versus dog battle. Let’s face it, some people do not like cats and Joseph Stromburg, writer for Vox, makes this cumulative opinion known. He claims that cats are “selfish, unfeeling, and environmentally harmful creatures.”

Most cat lovers would disagree, but internationally known cat and dog researcher John Bradshaw explains how Stromburg’s arguments are incorrect. Bradshaw explains that when cats and dogs are in stressful or unfamiliar situations, dogs tend to go to their owners while cats tend to do their own thing. He claims that dogs have become “obsessively obedient” to their owners but this does not mean that cats are not affectionate. Cats prefer to handle situations on their own. They also don’t approach every stranger with a wagging tail, like dogs do. Cats need to “feel out” how a person acts and reacts before he/she approaches it. They are cautious and careful. As per the environmentally harmful aspect, Bradshaw says that cats do have instincts from their larger feline relatives, but most cats are actually terrible hunters. 

Whether one prefers dogs to cats or vice versa, it is evident that cats dominate the internet and many people around the world enjoy their company. Cats are loving creatures who make humans happy. In our day and age, don’t we deserve to have a little piece of happiness? 

Professional Writing Major