A Campus Favorite: Dr. John Ronan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

As a senior who is in complete and utter disbelief that she is done with her classes as an undergraduate, I’d like to reflect on my experiences as an English major. When I look back on what I have learned these past four years, and what professors have had the biggest influence on my education, Dr. Ronan, and well-known professor in the English department, seems to be at the root of many of these reflections.

Many of my fellow classmates, and most of my closest friends, have all taken a variety of the courses that Dr. Ronan teaches. We can all attest to the notion that we learned the most as a student in his class.

From the very beginning, Dr. Ronan sets high standards that he expects his students to rise to. He explicitly explains at the beginning of each semester that we will have to work for our grades as they are not just handed out with completed assignments. The combination of determination, persistency, and a strong work ethic are all requirements for a Ronan field of study.

He teaches courses ranging anywhere from American Literature to in-depth slave narrative studies, and literary theory. Having experienced the diversity of his instruction, I can still have a full conversation with you about Anne Bradstreet’s “Upon the Burning of our House” and Sarah Winnemucca’s “Life Among the Paiutes” or even the theory of defamiliarization written by Viktor Shklovsky.

The goal of continued education is to be a life-long-learner. To apply what you learned one semester to another concept you learned the next. I’ve never experienced a fully encompassing educational experience that can be applied across curriculum. Dr. Ronan passionately provides his students with the opportunity to do just that; gain a complete knowledge and understanding of subject material to bring forth with them.

When I sat down in my first literary theory class I will admit I was a bit concerned. (O.K. maybe terrified would be a more appropriate word). Once we got into the swing of things I became compelled to the discussions that we would hold in his class. Despite the early-morning call time, my brain had always been awake, and eager to participate. (I will also admit that the cup of coffee that I chugged every morning helped, too)  

Dr. Ronan never fails to be as prepared as he can be to help shape our minds. As an admirable trait, he even admits when he may not be as knowledgeable as one of his colleagues on any given subject, and would not hesitate to put us in contact with a professor who may be able to help us more.

Most satisfying of all, you know that when you receive a good grade in his class that you earned it. I respect Dr. Ronan’s grading as an intelligible scholar of English.

Because of all I have disclosed to you, Dr. Ronan has become a personal favorite. He is also a favorite among many other of his students. It is with great pleasure that I have been able to write about a professor who has made such a large impact on all of his students and continues to do so through his involvement in the department.

My name is Carmelina Stolzenberg and I'm a senior at Kutztown University. I've always been passionate about writing as it has helped me through my life experiences. Being an English major- writing is a huge part of my life. You can probably find me drinking green tea with a book in my hand on any given day. My goal for HerCampus is to write about topics I am inspired by and share them with an audience that can hopefully find something to relate to in my writing.