Why You Should Care About the Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

We are in the midst of perhaps the most interesting presidential election in modern history. Between Clinton’s controversial email scandal, Trump’s extreme immigration proposals, and the insults thrown to and from each candidate, it is easy to forget that soon our nation will have a new Commander in Chief. This is no trivial matter; in fact, no matter which candidate prevails on November 8th, your life will inevitably see major changes in the weeks, months, and years to come.

That being said, it is of mass import to be knowledgable and care about the viewpoints and plans that will have such a profound impact on you. The two candidates vying to be the next President have radically differing ideas ranging from tax reform, immigration policies, and racial tensions. All of those topics, along with everything from foreign affairs to gun control will be handed to one of these candidates (sorry Third Party candidates, its just not going to happen).

So how does this affect you? Well, in every way. On voting day, you will not only be voting for a candidate, but for your economic future, safety, and our country’s overall prosperity. Whether you have been staying up to date on everything that has happened during the election or simply getting your news from your Twitter feed, I urge you to take charge of your future and become politically informed. That way, when it comes time to vote, you will be doing so knowing which candidate is best for you and the United States.

If all of this seems overwhelming, do not allow yourself to worry. Instead, take a moment to appreciate the privilege of freedom that you have that is so evident in the ability to vote. Then, if you want to take the steps to learn more about the candidates, set aside some time to do some homework. The best way to do this is to make sure that you are using nonpartisan sources. The best bets for unbiased media outlets are websites such as NPR, The Wall Street Journal, BBC, and PBS–which are consistently regarded as trusted sources, according to the Pew Research Center. To learn more about each candidate, you can visit their websites to learn more about what they would do once elected. Do this with caution, however, because each of their websites will do everything in their power to promote themselves as the best option.

October has come, meaning that the election for the 45th President of the United States is in less than a month. My hope is that each and every individual shows up at the voting polls and votes with the political awareness so mentioned in this article. Taking charge of your future is a large responsibility that does not just affect this generation, but the many generations to come. Who will be the leader that our grand nation deserves? It is in your hands.

Photos: CNN, Getty Images

Sources: Leon, Juan. “Nonpartisan Chart.” Independent Journal Review, 2014. Web.