free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why you don’t need a boy to buy you dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Call me a feminist, but I have always been a strong believer in paying my own way. I suppose competing with boys for different things throughout my life has made me that way. But, college is a different ball game when it comes to the opposite sex. So today, I want to share with you some reasons why you don’t need a boy to buy you dinner.

You Are a Strong & Independent Woman

When I got out of a pretty dumpy relationship with one of my good guy friends, I was hurt beyond belief. I wanted to do anything to feel like others wanted me. Soon, I realized, with the help of a few friends – I didn’t need a boy to make me happy. And neither do you.

Sure, being independent doesn’t exactly sound appealing, but, in all reality ladies, it does make you discover who you can be on your own. Start focusing on making yourself stronger and happier.

You Work Too

So, if you are in a relationship, this one is for you! Times have been changing for relationships – and women aren’t strictly the homemakers anymore. If paying for yourself – or even your partner too – is something you feel strongly about – do it!

Pop Quiz: Who Will Take The Bill?

I will admit it is nice to have a boy buy me a nice meal once in a while. But, sometimes hanging out with guy friends can be tough. You know, those “it’s not really a date, but it is” type of deals. Ugh. But, you can pay for yourself there too. If you know that he doesn’t have the money, offer to pay. It will probably make you look more attractive too. I guess that’s a win, right?

You Aren’t Stupid

Okay, so this header might be a little bit confusing – but I promise it’s not a bad thing. In college, most men have usually one thing on their minds, unfortunately –I don’t have to say it, do I?  But, at many parties, boys are usually looking for girls who fall all over them because it’s easy to get them – catch my drift? I am not trying to be mean, but from what I’ve experienced, it seems to reign very true.

Look At Her Work The Room!

When you don’t fall all over boys, they are actually surprised because they have to work for your attention. When you can buy your own drinks and stand on your own. People notice.

You Are Awesome

Girls really are awesome. I mean boys can’t wear high heels, can they? Be confident enough in yourselves and the rest should follow. You don’t need a boy to by you food or drinks because you are awesome without them. You can make your own way in this world little lady – you should be proud of that!

I give such great advice don’t I? Totally kidding. But, I do hope that some of these tips help you during “the best years of your lives”.  And never, ever, ever be afraid tell to tell a boy:

“I don’t need you to buy me dinner.”

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_