What’s in a Name?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

To avoid studying for finals, I started doing a little research into what some of my friend’s names meant and found quite a few interesting (or funny) tidbits. The following information was gathered from behindthename.com. Rankings are based on the United States. I found that my own name, Julie, is the French form of Julia, and means youthful, “soft-haired” and vivacious. So what’s in a name? 

Katharine Hepburn (Source: https://jnpickens.files.wordpress.com/)

Katharine

Variant of Katherine, made famous by Katharine Hepburn. From Greek “each of the two,” Greek “torture” or Coptic “my consecration of your name.” In the Christian era, from Greek katharos meaning “pure.”

Usage: English, German

Highest Ranking: No. 171 in 1880

Current Ranking: NA, Last Ranked No. 904 in 2006

Megan

Derived from Margaret. From Greek “pearl.” In the Christian era, it’s derived from Saint Margaret, patron of expectant mothers.

Usage: Welsh, English

Highest Ranking: No. 10 in 1985

Current Ranking: No. 307

Mattea

Feminine form of the Italian name Matthew. Greek form of the Hebrew name for “gift of God.” From Saint Matthew, also called Levi, one of the 12 apostles.

Usage: Italian

No Ranking Available.

Corinna

Latinized form of Greek name derived from “maiden.”

Usage: English, German, Ancient Greek

Highest Ranking: No. 699 in 1970

Current Ranking: NA, Last Ranked No. 954 in 1978

(http://www.bible-people.info)

Rachel

From Hebrew “ewe.” From the favorite wife of Jacob and mother of Joseph and Benjamin in the Old Testament.

Usage: English, Hebrew, French, German, Dutch, Biblical, Biblical Latin, Biblical Greek, Biblical Hebrew

Highest Ranking: No. 9 in 1996

Current Ranking: No. 155

Wyatt

From medieval name Wyot. Wyot from the Old English name “Wigheard” meaning “battle” (wig) and “brave, hardy” (heard).

Usage: English

Highest Ranking: No. 39 in 2014

Current Ranking: No. 39

Jackson

From English surname meaning “son of Jack.”

Usage: English

Highest Ranking: No. 16 in 2013

Current Ranking: No. 17

(Source: http://mythortruth.com)

Griffin

Latinized form of the Welsh name Gruffudd, “udd” meaning lord or prince while the first element and “ Gruff” being from unknown meaning. Inspired by the English word griffin, referencing a creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle.

Usage: English

Highest Ranking: No. 219 in 2012

Current Ranking: No. 241

A photo from my friend Kevin from his first birthday party.

Kevin

Irish meaning for handsome, kind or gentle by birth.

Usage: English, Irish, French, German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Highest Ranking: No. 13 in 1972

Current Ranking: No. 70

Jordan

Comes from the river that flows between countries of Jordan and Israel, which is derived from the Hebrew word meaning to descend or flow down.

Usage: English, Macedonian

Highest Ranking: No. 29 in 1991

Current Ranking: No. 55