What Your Boots Say About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I think it is safe to say that how we dress is a reflection of ourselves. We express ourselves with clothes and accessories, maybe not always for class, but we dress to make an impression, for the most part. Whether you have one pair of boots, or twelve (guilty), this is what they say about you.

1. Ankle Booties/Boots

“I’m chic/sleek/easy-going/insert adjective.”

Ankle cut boots and booties are super in right now, so style points for you if you own a pair. Bonus points for those who have at least 4 variations. Depending on the style, booties can say a lot about your personality— feminine, casual, tough, etc. These are such a simple way to add a little chic oomph to an outfit.

2. Combat Boots

“I’m a little bit of a badass and I like comfort.”

Combat boots kind of sit in the middle of casual and formal on the boot spectrum. With all the color options and buckle/closure possibilities you can make whatever fashion statement you please. There is something about a pair of black combats that say ‘caution:  I may bite’ and I love it. Paired with a flannel or a big knit sweater and voilà, style.

3. Cowgirl Boots

“I go to country concerts at least three times a year.”

You’re either an actual country cowgirl, you’ve probably even touched a cow, or you have a crush on the idea of finding a country man to ride off into the sunset with listening to Tim McGraw. Cowgirl boots can be a great accessory boot but typically the latter only puts these to use in situations of country concerts and town fairs.

4. Rain Boots

“I’m practical, a little bold, and maybe a little quirky too.”

I love the rain. I do not love walking around in wet socks or on cold feet. Rain boots still seem to get a little scrutiny from some parts of the population, but that’s why you’re a little bold if you rock them. A solid black or grey pair hits the practicality mark, but there are many pattern and texture options now that offer more personal expression.

5. Riding Boots

“Hi, I’m classic.”

You could have just come from the stables or you could be strolling through the windy streets of your city, I don’t know. Riding boots have become a classic closet staple that are especially cozy in the colder weather. Pulling these boots on over a pair of warm wool knee-high socks is one of life’s greater pleasures.

6. Uggs

“Ugh.”

I don’t know what to say about Uggs at this point, let alone what they say about you. See “basic” maybe. (Go on click the link.) Yes, they are warm, yes, they are comfortable but no. Please just no. 

Kansas raised (no not on a farm) but forever seeking the wanders of the world. She's one part human, one part hairspray, and one part sawdust. Her happiness is rooted in dabbling in various avenues of creative expression. Pursuing an BFA in Industrial Design and minors in Italian and Strategic Communication, she's a full time student and part time hair stylist. You can find her at the dog park, sharing an ice cream cone with her hound or at a coffee shop downtown.