This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

What does it mean to be a “real” woman?

Lately, I can’t help but notice several people on my various social media outlets sharing pictures, quotes and so on about what it means to be a “real” woman.

“Real women have curves.”

“Real women don’t need makeup.”

“Real women stay home with their children.”

“Real women don’t answer to a man.”

“Real women are proud to be taken care of by their man.”

Honestly, the list just goes on. We are all constantly fighting and jabbing at one another about the true qualifications of what it takes to be considered this magical, fictional idea of a real woman. But the truth is, WE ARE ALL REAL WOMEN. There is no defining aspect of what qualifies a human being as a woman, whether it be someone born as a woman or someone who identifies as such. There is no weight requirement, there is no dress code, and there certainly aren’t restrictions on how you choose or don’t choose to live your life.

By constantly forcing one another to live up to the standards of what we each define as a “real” woman, we’re merely contributing to a society that already depicts women as “not good enough” to begin with. Who are we to judge someone else? Who made the list of qualities women are and aren’t supposed to have in order to be categorized as real?

Are you a stay at home mom? Guess what, you’re a REAL woman.

Are you career driven with no desire to have children? Guess what, you’re a REAL woman.

Are you a person who hates wearing dresses and makeup? Well, you guessed it again, you’re a REAL woman.

Do you love dressing up in pink and dolling yourself up for your significant other? GUESS WHAT, YOU’RE A REAL WOMAN.

Do you see the trend here? The only thing that keeps us from being “real” women is our constant need to tear each other down. With songs like “All About that Bass” that are disguised as “anti-shaming” (but are really just reverse-shaming) or the constant pressure to live up to women who look like Victoria’s Secret fashion models, it’s as if society is pitting women against each other. “You have to look like this, in order to be this, but only if you do this.” No single human being, man, woman or whatever gender/sexuality a person identifies as, is better than any other. It’s time we all stop degrading our fellow woman and start lifting one another up. Because, if we’re not “real women,” then what exactly are we?

A real picture of a real woman.

A picture of a real woman.

A picture of a real woman.

A picture of real women.

A picture of real women.

A picture of a real woman.

A picture of a real woman.

Jacey Bishop currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief/President of Her Campus KU. In the past, she has served as the Development Director and the Events Director for HCKU, as well as serving as a content contributor for the past three years. Jacey is currently in her final year of study at KU for her Bachelors of Social Work and English, as well as a minor in Communications. She is very active on the KU campus, participating in Student Senate, Multicultural Scholars Program, She's the First, and KU Student Ambassadors. You can contact Jacey at jaceybishop@hercampus.com.