burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Warby Parker and Why You’ll Never Find a Better Pair of Glasses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Finding the perfect pair of glasses can be an immensely tiring act. Frames from retailers that a college student can realistically afford are generic, boring, and often unflattering, while the frames that you actually want can easily be over $300. To find a pair that flatters your face shape, works with your wardrobe, and reflects your personality can feel like a never-ending search, and it’s easy to throw in the towel and purchase the same black Ray Ban pair that everyone else already has. But as if our prayers have been answered, glasses designer and retailer Warby Parker has recently gained popularity and recognition around campuses nation wide. The company was started by Neil Blumenthal, Dave Gilboa, Andy Hunt, and Jeff Raider, and as explained on the Warby Parker website, the idea behind the company was to provide fashionable eyewear for a reasonable price after one of the founders lost his glasses on a backpacking trip. After he worked for an entire semester to replace them, the four worked together to provide an alternative to the expensive eyewear market with college students in mind. 

As if providing trendy frames for an affordable price wasn’t charity enough, Warby Parker also teamed up with non-profit company VisionSpring, which trains low-income men and women to give basic eye exams and sell glasses in developing countries. Similar to the popular shoe company Toms, Warby Parker gives a pair of their product to someone in need every time a pair is purchased.

If you’re not entirely convinced on how awesome Warby Parker is yet, then look to the appearance of the glasses they produce to push you over the edge into acceptance. They’re unique, fashionable, and come in a wide variety of shapes and colors. Plus, there’s such a large selection to choose from that you’re sure to find a pair that fits your personality and style exactly.

In order to find your perfect pair, you could visit the few locations that they have scattered across the United States, otherwise you can do what most customers have to do and buy them online. Before you panic at the idea of purchasing glasses online, fear not as they have a great policy about trying on glasses before you buy, even if you order from their website. Warby Parker will ship you five different demo pairs of frames to your home to try on for free. Incredible, right? If only every other store had this kind of policy too, then maybe the world would be a little brighter. 

Anyway, I think it’s safe to say that Warby Parker has revolutionized the way we look at buying glasses. My friends who have bought glasses from this company receive a constant stream of compliments from strangers when they walk around campus, and I feel safe to say that my next pair of frames are going to be Warby Parker. 

( Photo Credit: here, here, here, here, and here.)

Journalism Student, Arts Enthusiast, & Minneapolis Native.