prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

True Life: I’m Addicted to Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Wake up, tweet. Go to class, Snapchat. Eat lunch, scroll Instagram. Study in the library, search Pinterest. Lie in bed, watch Vines.

Social media has become part of our daily routines.  According to BusinessInsider.com, social media is now the top internet activity: Americans spend an average of 37 minutes daily on social media.  If after you read that statistic, you thought to yourself, “I spend way more time on social media than that,” then this article is for you.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a Twitter hater; in fact, I think social media is the greatest invention since the blow dryer.  It’s actually mind blowing to think that you are connected with the entire world on such a small piece of technology. You can send messages to thousands instantly, share photos of literally everything you do, and even have conversations with your favorite celebrities (I’m still excited about the reply I got from one of my favorite singers, JoJo).  However, this kind of connection can get addicting.

Just last semester, I was battling a serious addiction to Twitter.  I was scrolling down my timeline and checking for retweets every second of the day. At one point it got so bad that I was losing sleep, not paying attention in class and even skipping out on events to stay home on Twitter.  I would feel like I was missing out if I didn’t know the latest trending topics or who was sub-tweeting who.  It took a long lecture from my own mother to open my eyes to this monster… and that’s when I checked myself into what I call “Twitter Rehab.”

Here are the ways that your excessive use of social media can affect you; sometimes without you even noticing:

1) Concentration

If you’re writing your English paper, with a Pinterest tab up, while also sending your friends “library flow” Snapchats every five minutes, or your focus is more on your filter choice than word choice.  I know we tech-savvy college women like to think we are the masters of multi-tasking, but doing this can hurt your brain and your grades!

2) Self-Esteem

Constantly seeing pictures of severe thigh gaps combined with your nightly “I’m gonna be single forever” Twitter rants can actually start affecting how you feel about yourself. You may think that following fitness freaks or checking up on your ex or your enemies are all harmless ways to pass time, but those things can lead to self-doubt and depression.

3) Creativity 

Spending hours with the noise of the world in your mind can dry out your creative juices. Think about it, you’re watching Vines instead of looking at the world around you. You’re taking selfies instead of letting the people in your life inspire you. If you’re a painter or a writer struggling to create, staring at your phone won’t help you find your muse.

So you’ve read some of the harmful effects of social media addiction, now, onto the solution:

1.     Admit You Have a Problem

We’ve all heard of the 12-step programs that help with addictions to alcohol, drugs, gambling and, yes, even shopping.  Take a page from that famous program and just admit that your life has become unmanageable and you need to change.

2.     Limit Yourself

Regulate yourself by setting daily time limits on how long you will stay on social media. For example, only 20 minutes on Facebook a day.

3.     Check Into Rehab (but not really)

Just like any addiction, the best way to get over what you are addicted to is to stop…cold turkey!  Delete the apps off of your phone, or if you’re feeling really brave, delete your accounts.

Pro tip: I stayed off Twitter for two weeks straight. It was hard at first but I quickly noticed that I was getting more sleep, was more attentive and was in a much better mood.

4.     Keep Yourself Busy

A lot of people log on social media when they are bored, so get up and do things that don’t allow you to waste your days on Instagram.

– Go on a walk with a friend

– Start a new book series

– Have a spa day and pamper yourself

5.     Healthy Alternatives

If you are like me and love being entertained by the little gadget in your hand, instead of those addicting social media sites, log on to sites that inform, uplift and inspire.  You’re on one now!

Lastly, fellow addicts, you are not alone and I have faith in you. All it takes is one simple click of “Log Out.”  You won’t be sorry you did!