Top 5 Healthy Breakfast Options

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As we settle into the day-to-day routine of college life, it’s easy for us to find ourselves busy and continuously in a rush. However, despite how busy we may get at times, there is one thing we should not forget – breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. By taking the time to eat breakfast, we not only help our concentration, but get our metabolisms moving which helps us maintain a healthy weight. In order to start your day off right, try one of these 5 healthy breakfast foods that are quick and easy for girls on the go.

1. Oatmeal

Oatmeal offers the perfect start to your day. Not only is oatmeal quick and easy to make, it is also high in fiber, low in fat, and high in protein. Oatmeal also is low in calories, while keeping you feeling full for a longer period of time. Not fully convinced yet? This wonderful breakfast food prevents you from getting high cholesterol, protects against heart disease, as well as enhances the immune response. Possibly the most encouraging reason of all for you to eat oatmeal is simply because it tastes good! There are many brands of microwaveable oatmeal that come in a variety of flavors. Look for oatmeal flavors that are low in sugar, and you’re set.

2. Greek Yogurt

Some people may say Greek yogurt does not taste as good as normal yogurt. However with many new varieties, there really is Greek yogurt that tastes good while still being healthy. Greek yogurt offers you a higher amount of protein per serving than regular yogurt .Chobani Greek Yogurt and Yoplait Greek Yogurt are especially tasty. Both companies have produced Greek yogurt that comes in multiple flavors, while still keeping the amount of calories low. Yogurt in general is an easy breakfast food for students on the go, but Greek yogurt is an even better option due to the higher amount of protein. So, go Greek!

3. Low-sugar Cereal

Cereal will always be a go to option for breakfast, no matter what our age. However, as college students that are continuously surrounded my unhealthy eating options, it is best to eat cereal with a low amount of sugar. I know, I know – it really is disappointing that Lucky Charms and Reese’s Puffs can’t be included in the healthy category. Cereals like Special K and Honey Bunches of Oats offer great tasting alternatives while having a significantly less amount of sugar. To decrease the fat in your diet, eat cereal with low fat skim milk rather than 2% or whole milk. If you are feeling adventurous, try your cereal with almond or coconut milk. Cereal is an affordable, quick and easy option.

4. Smoothies

There will always be some mornings where the cereal box is empty or where we are in such a hurry we forget to grab a yogurt on our way out the door. However, you’re still in luck! Smoothies are great options for a fruit-filled breakfast on the go. KU offers smoothies at various locations on campus, such as the Union and the Underground. When ordering a smoothie, try adding an enhancer such as protein to give your breakfast more staying power.

5. Low Fat Cottage Cheese

Similar to yogurt, cottage cheese now comes in small containers making it an easy meal to grab and eat on the go. Cottage cheese is a very versatile food; it manages to offer a high amount of protein and have fewer carbohydrates than most yogurt. Due to the high amount of protein, you will be able to feel fuller longer. Like yogurt, top off your cottage cheese with other healthy foods such as almonds, walnuts, strawberries or blueberries. 

Whether or not you choose to eat one of the five options listed above, the most important thing to remember is to EAT breakfast. Even if you begin by grabbing a granola bar or muffin and working your way up to one of the above healthier choices, any form of fuel is better than nothing. Not only will you see improved concentration and focusing power, but you will also see positive results on your overall body weight. Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day.

University of Kansas Journalism School Student