This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Group projects. Just the sound of the words makes you cringe, doesn’t it? People not doing their fair share, communication issues, procrastination from other members… the list of annoyances goes on and on. And that’s not the only time you work with groups either – if you’re in an organization, have a job, do research – almost everything forces you to work with other people. So how do you work around these annoyances to make your work the best it can be? Here are some tips I’ve learned in the last three years of college to working with other people.

1. Remember you can’t do everything. You, like everyone else, cannot stretch yourself to do everything. You have to learn to trust other people – it’s hard, I know. Letting someone else have control of a piece of your work – especially when that work will be graded- is nerve-racking. But to have the best work possible, you have to give someone else the reins. You have to learn to trust.

2. Know your strengths. You are not good at everything. It’s just a fact of life. Nobody is great at everything, but everybody is great at something. Maybe you’re not so comfortable with leading but you’re great at balancing budgets and counting numbers: you probably shouldn’t be the President but you can still be the treasurer! And that’s awesome for YOU. Last month I had the honor of attending the Identities Symposium at the OMA. One of my favorite quotes from Center for Civic and Social Responsibility Director, Andi Witczak, talked directly about strengths,  “What if you and everyone surrounding you used your strengths every single day? How much different would the world look?” We need different strengths to create. Embrace yours and those around you.

3. You don’t always know best. You may have had an awesome idea but someone else has a problem with it. That’s okay. Sometimes what we think is best is really far from it. Don’t be so stubborn that you can’t see when your ideas have flaws. Listen to other people’s ideas. Brainstorm together. Work off of each other. The best work comes from collaboration.

4. Don’t be afraid to say no. Though you don’t always have the best ideas, some of your group members may not either. Don’t be afraid to tell them what you think. Don’t hope it will work out because you don’t want conflict. Be respectful and make sure to listen but don’t just let someone walk all over the rest of the group. Chances are someone else feels the same way. 

5. Learn about other peoples preferences. I like to communicate through email. I can check it wherever I am, can articulate my ideas better and can always go back to it. However, in our digital age, there are many more forms of communication. Maybe others in my group prefer to talk on the phone or Facebook message. Learn to adapt. Work together to make sure communication is happening. If everyone in the group is working together to help each other, things tend to work out. Don’t be so set in your ways that you become the reason the group fails

6. Be forgiving and ask for forgiveness. Things don’t always go right. Sometimes, no matter how hard you work the event, project, etc., isn’t as amazing as you hoped. Don’t point fingers. Take responsibility for your part of the work and forgive others for theirs.

These are some tips I’ve picked up as I’ve worked in groups over the years but there are tons more! Let us know what you’ve used to work with other people! 

Laura Lyndall Fagen is a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater. She is a Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters and loves all things volunteering.