Things to do in Kansas City this November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As your self-appointed holiday hype writer, I have taken it upon myself to find you things to do in the lovely KC. I think sometimes it is easy to get wrapped up with our lives in here in Lawrence, but we often forget that the Heart of the Midwest is right outside our backyard. So take a break from the stress of wrapping up the semester grab some pals and hop in the car. KC is totally ready to welcome the holiday season with open arms and they would love to have you there. 

Crown Center Ice Terrace

Who doesn’t love a bit of holiday ice skating? Grab some pals and spend your Saturday afternoon in a winter wonderland. Crown Center Ice Terrace is KC’s only public, outdoor ice skating rink. Regular admission is $6, Skate rental is $3, or you can save some money and bring your own skates.Hours for November:Sunday – Thursday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.Friday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 11 p.m.Thanksgiving Day, 3 p.m. – 10 p.m.

Plus the Crown Center Ice Terrace offers a Two-for-One Tuesdays! After 5 p.m., pay one full price admission and receive a second for FREE. (Skate rental not included, but it’s just $3 per person.)

Lyric Opera of Kansas City presents “The Italian Girl in Algiers”

The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts is putting on the “The Italian Girl in Algiers” this November. According to the Lyric Opera of Kansas City, “Funny girl conquers man’s world. Staged in a storybook setting and filled with a musical blend of comedy, energy, and style, Gioachino Rossini’s “The Italian Girl”sings. This adventure takes heroine Isabella off of the ship as it was originally written and into a biplane cockpit. It’s a story about an intelligent and quick-witted woman who crash-lands in an Arabic Society. Calamity ensues. In the end, she saves her boyfriend and the day as she takes on an ultra-traditional patriarchal society and wins.” – https://www.visitkc.com/event-detail/lyric-opera-kansas-city-presents-italian-girl-algiers?cid=18622

Show Times:

Dates: Nov. 8, 12, 14, 16Time: 7:30pm, Wed., Fri., Sat., 2pm., Sun.

The Mayor’s Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony

If you’re stuck around campus for Thanksgiving break take a journey down to see Christmas come to town. The annual Tree Lighting takes place the day after Thanksgiving at dusk. So stick around the crown center and enjoy the spectacle of lights. 

Address:  2450 Grand (Crown Center), Kansas City, MO

Union Station KC

Union Station is gorgeous at Christmas Time decorated with sparkly lights and enormous it is definitely worth a stop. Inside the historical building you’ll find, “the Largest Indoor Holiday Tree, Holiday Plays, Performances & Sing-Alongs, Breathtaking Decorations, Family Photo Ops, and Holiday Movies.”

Check out their websites for daily events: http://www.unionstation.org/holidays/

Native East Coaster but born and raised all over this beautiful world. A lover of photography, traveling, a good story, and of course social media. You can always find me studying Journalism and Global and International Studies while day dreaming up a new adventure.