This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Everyone needs a laugh in the cesspool of autocracy that is currently our country. The purest form of these much-needed lols comes in the form of stand-up comedy. Just one dude (far less often a dudette, but right now we’re laughing away the pain and not examining sexism in the comedy community), a stool, and a microphone on a stage to help us forget that democracy is dead.

If you want this kind of “pretend everything is okay” laughter in your life, you’re in luck- Netflix has you more than covered. Here are some of the best stand-up specials Netflix has to offer (just prepare yourself for the inevitable choking on whatever drink you have available).

Bo Burnham’s “what.” and “Make Happy

No list of comedy for 20-somethings would be complete without the musical comedian who will have you snorting one second and spiraling into your own #deep thoughts in the next. Honestly, if you haven’t heard of Bo Burnham, you probably occasionally go outside and what kind of life is that to live? Stay in and enjoy the smooth stylings of relatable and smart comedy with the occasional fart joke.

Anthony Jeselnik’s “Thoughts and Prayers

For those of you who can appreciate a nice, tasteless joke about tragedy. Get your fill of pitch black comedy that’s more bitter and refreshing than a handful of old coffee grounds.

Katherine Ryan’s “In Trouble

She says it herself in the first bit of her hour- young women tend to like her comedy. She subverts expectations and jokes about the traditionally pretty girls like she isn’t one herself. But it’s okay because she’s a strange one and we honestly need all the talented women in comedy that we can get.

Jimmy Carr’s “Funny Business

Classic British sarcasm and dry comedy are the draw of this posh comedian. If you like a good Kurt Cobain death joke, stay tuned for this hour special, because there is a fantastic one.

Ali Wong’s “Baby Cobra

She brings new life to the “barefoot and pregnant” cliché as she stands on stage, barefoot and pregnant, telling tongue-in-cheek jokes about marrying rich and never working again. Ali Wong is a true inspiration to those of us seeking our MRS degrees so that we can live a life of luxury.

Sofía Niña de Rivera’s “Exposed

Feel cultured as you crack up to this Mexican comedian who performs her stand-up completely in Spanish. It won’t take long at all before you quit noticing the subtitles and start noticing the untapped potential that exists in the non-English comedy sphere. Hilarious and brash, Sofía Niña de Rivera is worth the reading.

Maggie Williams is an English and Creative Writing major at the University of Kansas. She is an aspiring novelist, hermit, and musical enthusiast who spends an inordinate amount of time thinking about stand-up comedy, Dungeons and Dragons, and ice cream. She's honestly just a joy. You can follow her at https://twitter.com/Maggie5533 or at https://adventuresandstorytelling.wordpress.com/ where she doesn't speak in third person (she promises).