nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

So you think you want an internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you have reached that point in life where a part-time job is kicking your butt and are ready to see what work is like in the real world, then maybe it’s time for an internship. Most companies that you will apply for after college will tell you that you need experience, and one of the best ways to get experience is to intern. Internships aren’t always easy to come by, so here is some advice on how to nab that internship you’ve had your eye on.

1. Clean Up Your Social Media Sites

This is one of the most important parts of obtaining both an internship and a career. When people used to tell me that employers look at your Facebook, Twitter, and other sites I thought they were kidding. Nope! We are all guilty of Facebook stalking here and there, and so are the companies you want to work for. Take some time on your day off to go through and delete the pictures from last Saturday’s big party and remove any foul language and negative comments from your social media accounts. If you think that what you have posted may be concerning to a future employer, then it’s safe to say that it can be removed.

2. Create An Eye-Catching Resume

The resumse – a one page paper that tells your future employer just how awesome you are. Generally, employers take less than 10 seconds to look at your resume. I know you’re thinking, “Buffy, why is the resume so important if the employer barely looks at it?” The resume is important because it tells the employer you already have some experience and that you are ready to move on to the next big picture, the internship. Your resume will give all of your contact information, a summary of your qualifications, your educational history, special projects you have worked on and anything else you feel is relevant to the internship you want. You want your resume to be simple and easy to read, but informational enough that it will make the employer want to spend more time looking at it.

3. Research Potential Employers

By your junior year you should have an idea of what you want to be when you grow up and maybe who you would like to work for. In between classes, Google a company that you would be interested in working for and look up their history, current events and job offerings. It is vital to have some knowledge about the company you want to eventually work for because it shows your true interests. Once you have found something you truly want, apply!

4. The Interview

Let’s say you have sent out your resume, letter of interest, and application and have finally received an email saying you have been chosen for the internship. Great! But now what? More than likely they will want you to come in for an interview. Choose a business professional or business casual outfit, depending on what that company requires its workers to wear and choose a hairstyle that makes for a great first impression. Bring with you several printed resumes, a professional looking folder, pen and paper, and be sure to turn your cell phone off during the interview. Most importantly, don’t forget to smile! After the interview, send out thank-you notes to the person who took the time to interview you. It is best if the thank-you notes are hand-written because it shows that your took time out of your busy schedule to write it just as the interviewer took time to interview you. Don’t forget to be professional, too!

5. You Got the Internship!

While you’re interning, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and take risks. You will be asked to do countless tasks for people, even go on coffee runs. Always say yes to opportunities to network with the people you are getting coffee for, ask them for advice, ask them anything and remember to have a positive attitude and smile. Who knows, you could get a great job offer once your internship is over!

Internships can be somewhat intimidating and everything that goes into getting an internship may seem daunting. At KU, we have a great Career Center located on the first floor of the Burge Union. They offer career and internship advising and would be more than happy to help you create your resume. Also, the department of Liberal Arts and Sciences has teamed up with the University Career Center and offer career courses that may be taken for credit. The UCC is hosting an internship fair open to all majors at the Adams Alumni Center on Wednesday, Nov. 13 from 2-5 p.m. You can also keep a look out for internship and career fairs coming to KU on the UCC website.

Good luck!

I am a junior Film and Media Studies major at the University of Kansas. In my spare time I love writing screenplays, watching movies, and hanging out with my Husky, Keno.