The Sneakiest Ways to Get Your Caffeine Fix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

2 quizzes, 1 speech and a math exam later, I was exhausted by Friday. I told myself that I couldn’t drink any caffeine because of how bad it was for me, but boy did I need it – like SpongeBob needs water in “Tea at the Treedome.” So, today, while it’s fresh in my mind, I’m going to tell you some sneaky ways that I get caffeinated so that you can too.

Coffee-Like Beverages

I’m not going to sit here and tell you to not drink coffee– because I do all the time– but I am going to tell you to drink it in moderation. I know, drinking straight up coffee isn’t exactly “sneaky,” but I have tried a cool trick that actually does work. If you are a huge coffee drinker, make your own drinks from Starbucks. There are tons of YouTube videos talking about the subject. When you make your own, you can add as much as you want or even none at all. Studies show that when you drink things that taste like coffee, your body will think that’s what you’re drinking, even though you aren’t, and give you an energy boost. Sneaky, right? Thought so.

Chocolate

Who knew that college girl’s go-to breakup food actually gave you an energy boost? There is 18 grams of caffeine in 1 ounce of this stuff. I know, it may not seem like very much, but during the day, a Hersey’s bar can give you as much energy as a cup of coffee.  Also, if you don’t want to eat huge candy bars, chocolate milk is a great alternative. Although it doesn’t have the same amount of caffeine, you get the added benefit of strong bones and a nice morning beverage.  And I used to wonder why Starbucks sold chocolate with their coffee.

Cocoa Powder

This may seem very similar to chocolate, but I promise – it’s not! Adding cocoa powder to some of your drinks and or daily food intake can actually boost your energy. It has about 12 grams of caffeine for every tablespoon. Maybe add it to your milk in the mornings or some of your desserts. Just not your water– that just sounds nasty (I know you were thinking about it).

Teas

I am not a big tea drinker, but I do crave my favorite raspberry tea once in a while. Tea is a healthier substitute for coffee. Even though you aren’t really being “sneaky” while drinking it, it is better for you and it has about the same caffeine intake.  They also provide many unknown and “sneaky” benefits for your body that coffee or chocolate can’t give you. Tea, depending on the type, contains huge amounts of antioxidants, which fight against heart disease and cancer. Those teas are pretty sneaky, let me tell you.   

Okay, that about sums up my sneakiness for today. With midterms coming up and finals just 6 weeks away (yikes), I hope these few tips help you stay awake and healthy so you can be at the top of your class. 

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_