This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
Busy, busy, busy and more busy can describe the average college student’s life almost perfectly, but when it comes to sophomore Quentin Aker (@Quentin_Aker), busy doesn’t even begin to cover it! A Birkenstock loving/coffee obsessed Finance and Spanish major, minoring in German and Economics, you can tell just by this mouthful of aspiration that Quentin isn’t afraid of hard work. He is the Transportation Safety and Security Committee Chair for the Midwest Affiliate of College and University Residents Halls, otherwise known as MACURH, Recruitment Co-chair for the Big Event, served as a Summer Conference Assistant at McCollum Hall, member of Delta Sigma Pi ((Profesional Business Fraternity), and a member of Phi Alpha Delta (Pre-Law Fraternity).
When you see all these dedicating and time consuming commitments that Quentin is involved in, it’s a wonder what gave him the push to dive into all these activities. When asked what exactly gave him that push, he replied:
 “When I was finishing my High School credits at Fort Hays State University, I was asked to be on the task force for The Big Event. Hays being a much smaller school, The Big Event was on a much smaller scale than KU’s, and I was helping get the first one going. I’ve always loved volunteering because I’m an Eagle Scout and I’ve been involved with Boyscouts my whole life, so I just grew up with it. My mom’s the Youth Director for our church so I’ve always been very involved with that as well. I feel like I’ve always just had an affinity for volunteering. So when I got to KU, I knew I wanted to do just that, so I went to the Union Fest my freshman year, saw the Big Event table, and told em’ to sign me up! I put my name on the mailing list, started going to the meetings, eventually made my onto the operations committee, and now I’m in charge of recruitment! Next year, I want to become a director. I want to keep moving up because I just love the Big Event and think it’s so much fun to be apart of. I love getting so many people involved.”
Well from the sound of it, it looks like Quentin wouldn’t know what to do with himself if he didn’t volunteer. He’s been so involved with it his entire life, you can see that it’s become an important aspect of who he is as a person. But out of everything Quentin is so involved in, I couldn’t help but wonder what the most rewarding part of it all is. He responded with:
“The other day, I went to Chipotle with my friend and on the way to her car, at least three or four people I knew waved or said hi to me, then when we actually got to Chipotle I saw even more people I know. My friend turned to me and was like “how do you know EVERYONE?” It’s just crazy that I can go anywhere and know so many people from the various things I’m involved in. Honestly, the Big Event just helped me meet SO many different people because it has people from Schol Halls, Res Halls, Greek Life, like people from all walks of life are involved in the Big Event and I was just able to meet so many people. And now that I’m a Big Event Exec, I’m able to use those connections all over campus to my advantage. Tabling, or whatever, I’ll see people from everything I do every single day. I know a lot of RA’s, a lot of important people in Housing, I just have limitless connections. I honestly just credit all of it. I’ve just become so close with my committee’s, because I’m so emotionally connected to what I’m involved in. The friendships make it fun, and it doesn’t feel like you’re going to yet another meeting, or another event, it feels like you’re just going to hang out with some friends, and that’s so important to me. Everything I do I just love so much and I’m so passionate about that. It doesn’t feel like work. I just love everything I do. If you’re not happy, then why the hell are you doin’ what you’re doin’ ya know?
Quentin, it’s definitely clear that you’re dedication and positive attitude about everything has made your involvement an even greater experience than planned. It’s truly inspiring to see a student so willingly take on so much because he truly feels a passion for what he does. A lot of the reasoning for this passion, according to Quentin, is his sister Laura Aker and the rest of his family. When asked to elaborate, he replied:

(Quentin and Laura Aker #throwback)

“Well, my sister is a senior majoring in Accounting here at KU, so she was here two years before me. She got involved in Delta Sigma Pi, and obviously I wanted to join as soon as I could, I began that pledge process and became a brother. I have a very strong emotional connection to DSP because my sister and I have been best friends since literally birth, and she’s in charge of DSP now, and I plan to hopefully fill her shoes in the coming years. Becoming a part of it with her meant a lot to me. Mama Aker cannot say no to being involved, so my sister and I got that from her. My parents always supported us kids being involved in extracurriculars since like kindergarten. I’ve never just been in school, I’ve always had something to be involved in. My whole family is very go-go-go.  My Grandma is a politician, my Great Uncle is a County Clerk, my Great Grandpa was a Mayor, my Great Aunt brought the YWCA to Kansas and even went to jail for women’s rights activism, so I literally have civil engagement in my blood. I’ve been around it since I was a baby, and growing up this way definitely impacted me. It makes me want to influence the world.”

(Quentin and Laura Aker now)

It’s definitely evident that Quentin’s family has had a lot of positive influence on him, and I have no doubt that he will have an impact on the world if he continues on the path he’s paved for himself thus far. Keep it up, Quentin! We’re all waiting to see what amazing accomplishments you’re yet to make!
Jacey Bishop currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief/President of Her Campus KU. In the past, she has served as the Development Director and the Events Director for HCKU, as well as serving as a content contributor for the past three years. Jacey is currently in her final year of study at KU for her Bachelors of Social Work and English, as well as a minor in Communications. She is very active on the KU campus, participating in Student Senate, Multicultural Scholars Program, She's the First, and KU Student Ambassadors. You can contact Jacey at jaceybishop@hercampus.com.