This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

A hot button political topic and a mainstream social issue, feminism is something that everyone has become closely acquainted with over the past few years. Feminism is defined as the “advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social and economic equality to men.” This can mean different things from nation to nation, depending on how developed or progressive they are; however, fundamentally, feminism encapsulates everything from equal representation in government and media, to eradicating the wage gap, to abolishing rape culture and advocating for women’s health and rights. At its core, feminism is a noble and necessary social movement. However, it is important to recognize the flaws in its execution.

Photo Credit

The central flaw in mainstream feminism is that it is non-inclusive and has become synonymous with white feminism. White feminism is supported by the institution of racism and exists as a non-inclusive standard of equality that only addresses the grievances of white women and ultimately only benefits the white woman. This is true historically and in the present day. The face of feminism has always been that of middle-class white woman, and the issues addressed by their feminism always have excluded the struggles of women of color and fail to recognize the range of oppression that those who do not have racial or socio-economic privilege face. Additionally, inclusivity in regards to sexual and gender orientation are issues that have only recently been recognized as something that should be addressed within the scope of feminism.

Evidence of the dominance of white feminism is everywhere. The connotation of the movement itself is centered around white feminism. Everything from an almost unnatural obsession with the politics of body hair to using the loss of black lives as a way to push their agendas. There are laundry lists of non-inclusive and inherently racist things that white feminism advocates for and perpetuates: denouncing internet feminism, advocating for forced sterilization, demonizing body diversity and perpetuating racially insensitive environments and activities. Even seemingly petty celebrity beef, like between Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift, attest to the privilege of being a white “feminist” as evidenced by the widespread backlash as a result of Minaj speaking out and by the portrayal of Minaj and Swift in the argument, respectively.

Photo Credit

Because white feminism has its roots in racism and has become the standard for equality it will be hard to dismantle it. The only way to eventually overcome white feminism’s inherent flaws and non-inclusive focus is to educate women and society on the harmful effects of repressing the colored voice and and the need to create solidarity between colored and white women. Perhaps through the assimilation of womanism into the traditional definition of feminism and by putting into practice the feministic claims of open mindedness and equality, the very things that the movement is supposed to be centered on, feminism will grow to become a stronger, more inclusive, effective movement.

Photo Credit