Nick Offerman Visits Lied Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Nick Offerman visited the Lied Center on February 12, 2015.  With a mix of music, humor, and philosophy with a touch of woodworking, Offerman created a memorable night for the full venue.  Though he had flown in from Los Angeles that very day and would be flying out the next morning to spend Valentine’s Day in Istanbul with wife Megan Mullally, Offerman gave it his all in a nearly three-hour performance.  No photos of the performer were allowed as he wanted everyone to stay in the moment and experience what they had paid for, but as you can see the place was packed.

Nothing was off-limits with Offerman, who closed with a Q&A session.  He spoke about his marriage to Mullally and how they have made it work for 15 years, which he joked was 172 years in celebrity marriage years.  He took questions on everything from refinishing a 150-year-old table, to starting out on the trek to becoming a comedian, to how he got started in music—yes, he’s a real-life Duke Silver. 

The man known for his deadpan humor offered wisdom he had gained from his own experiences as well.  When a member of the audience asked how he got into acting, Offerman described the time he went to a guidance counselor to ask about possible professions.  The counselor gave him what he called a list of “38 jobs you can have” and saw that none were in the arts.  He wasn’t told that was an option, but he sought it out anyway and succeeded.  He advised the audience to find what they love and figure out how to get paid for it so we are no longer a nation of people waiting for the weekend; rather, a nation of people working in fields they love.

Many came to see Nick Offerman offering up an evening of humor, but received much more.  Though his performance at KU is 5,000 candles in the wind, Offerman professed his fondness of the KC area and said he will surely be back.  If not to KU then hopefully to the area very soon.

photo cred: (http://mashable.com/category/nick-offerman/)

Future teacher who loves coffee, cupcakes, dogs, and Instagram. Spends more than she should at Target but can miraculously justify it every single time.