Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

KU Features

Did you know we have more than one school song?

By Devan Schaly
August 31, 2014 - 2:32pm

Every school has a fight song, but did you know that KU has FIVE? That doesn’t even include our Alma Mater or our state song. As a former member of the Marching Jayhawks, I got very acquainted with these songs, and as I’ve made my transition from the band section to the student section I’ve noticed that our student body may be limited to just clapping along at sporting events. So as a guide for students from freshmen all the way to super seniors, I’m going to break those songs down.  Let’s start with the one that everyone knows: "I’m a Jayhawk" READ MORE

Your First Week of Freshman Year as Told By Disney

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
August 19, 2014 - 11:08am

This is it- your first week of college. You're packed and ready to start your life and you're about to experience a lot of firsts and a lot of first-time feelings like: You're here! Campus is gorgeous and you're moving into your dorm today! You get to your dorm room- how do you fit it all in?
And your parents look at you and say "We have to go now." You're sad for a moment... and then realize you have your whole life ahead of you! READ MORE

Five Things I Wish Someone Would Have Told Me About Sorority Recruitment

By Shelby Ostrom
August 17, 2014 - 11:49am

This post is dedicated to all of you women who are getting ready to embark on an experience like no other: sorority recruitment! I know you all are probably extremely nervous, excited and every emotion between. So, here today, a few of my fellow Greeks and myself are here to alleviate some of you worries about one of the most exciting weeks of your life. 1. Do Stay Positive First, we should talk about what to expect going into the week in general and a few tips and tricks on how to make the best of it. There is a chance that this will probably be one of the longest, but best weeks, of your life. However, you shouldn’t be too upset if it doesn’t turn out that way....

Confessions of an Incoming Freshman

By Anna Meyer
August 12, 2014 - 3:42pm

Change is a healthy and necessary part of life, yet periods of transition are some of the most nerve-wrecking times one can experience. Humans are creatures of habit and as soon as things feel comfortable our first instinct is to stay put and continue with our current lifestyle. But if you’re like me and you’re one of the hundreds of incoming freshman students, you’re probably feeling like all aspects of familiarity are crashing around you and pushing you towards your next big life stage of college. Suddenly every relative and neighbor has a piece of advice for you on studying and roommates, a family meal isn’t complete without a discussion on college finances and you’re starting to compare prices on Twin XL bed sheets with your Mom at Target....

8 Signs You Can't Wait to Get Back to Lawrence

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
August 8, 2014 - 2:57pm

1. You can't get the Rock Chalk Chant out of your head 2. And you feel the need to yell "Rock Chalk" at everyone wearing Crimson and Blue 3. You have been craving Dollar Night... 4. And pizza at The Wheel after. READ MORE

Be a Her Campus KU Organization Representative!

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
July 19, 2014 - 1:11am

Have an interest marketing and online media? Do you love promoting brands and telling people about awesome opportunities? What about KU people, events, beauty, women’s health, and most importantly, the University of Kansas? Her Campus KU is looking for Organization Representatives to start in this Fall!

Duties READ MORE

Houston: New Sports Capital of the US?

By Taylor Bjerke
July 8, 2014 - 2:30pm

I just have to say, I am beyond thrilled for the future of Houston sports. Being a Texans fan, it was hard to watch the disappointing NFL season that led Houston to ranking at the very bottom of the league. The Texans along with the other Houston-based teams have had somewhat of a rough patch recently. However, things are starting to look up. Photo credit via abcnews.go.com READ MORE

The Best #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
July 2, 2014 - 12:29pm

By now, we've all heard of the devastating defeat that knocked the United States out of the World Cup yesterday. Despite the painful end, one player stood out among the rest and became a US legend overnight. US Goalie Tim Howard saved sixteen goals during the game- a record high for the last 50 years that the stat has been recorded. Even better- he inspired the #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave hashtag, which is probably one of the best things to hit the internet. Here are just a few #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave Kanye from being a fool: READ MORE

15 Movies You Probably Forgot About

By Justine Powls
June 16, 2014 - 3:33pm

There are a ton of movies that come out all the time and sometimes it's hard to keep up! I mean, really, at this point in your life, you've witnessed about 20 years (or more) of movie madness. So what about all of those VHS movies when you were a kid— where did they go? Personally, I find it extremely upsetting that the VHS isn't a thing anymore. I blame my lack of current movie knowledge on the loss of VHS players; for some reason, when they left the movie scene, so did I. So, for summer reminiscing or rewatching purposes, here are 15 movies that you most likely forgot about until now: 1) The Land Before Time Littlefoot was always our favorite... READ MORE

Anxiety Gal Conquers London

By Sarah Kramer
June 3, 2014 - 7:17pm

It's just past midnight and I'm sitting in bed in my flat in central London. Everything is quiet. It's a Sunday night, and even the usual honking of cars and screeching of ambulances down High Kilburn Road has stopped, maybe for the first time since I arrived five days ago. Waking up every morning and remembering that I'm in England for the next two months is such a strange and incredible feeling, but it's even more impressive when I think about who I was and how I felt a year ago and how traveling thousands of miles to a different country by myself was something I'd never thought I'd be able to do in my entire life.    READ MORE