Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

KU Features

The Best and Worst of Spotify

By Devan Schaly
October 24, 2014 - 8:00am

Spotify is gaining a lot of popularity as the end-all, be-all music application for anyone and everyone. You can stream music, create playlists, use their genius radio and follow what your Facebook friends are listening to. I have Spotify Premium and absolutely love it, so I'm going to give you the pros and cons of what I've seen from using Spotify and leave the rest up to you. 1.    You can download it: You can download it not only on your phone, but also on your desktop. The nice thing about this is that it’s one less tab to bog down your web browser. READ MORE

A New Old Way to Communicate

By Abby Fields
October 23, 2014 - 8:00am

I'm in the midst of a quarter-life crisis. Since I started at KU last fall, I have had a plan. I am pursuing a Bachelor of Sciences in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. I have done undergraduate research since my first semester, and my faculty mentor has started to plan for me to take on my own project. The plan is to get a publication to make myself a more impressive grad school applicant. This is how you become successful in research. But I realized that I'm preparing myself perfectly for a career that I don't want. I don't believe in research as it exists today. READ MORE

The Tree Hill Ravens Have Returned

By Jordan MacGillivray
October 21, 2014 - 3:15pm

Sorry everyone, but as far as I know there will not be a new season of One Tree Hill anytime soon. However, in the previous week some of our favorite Ravens came together for an exciting reunion…in Paris! OTH stars Sophia Bush, Bethany Joy Lenz, Hilarie Burton, James Lafferty, and Paul Johansson have reunited for a fun night out on the town. These photos were posted on Instagram:   READ MORE

The Latest and Greatest Craze: Hammocking

By Danielle S. Peterson
October 20, 2014 - 11:39am

If you’re like me, when someone says the word “hammock” you probably think of a hammock hanging between two palm trees, somewhere on a sandy beach. While that image may hold true in some places, the idea of a hammock, and what one does with it, has been completely revolutionized. In some circles, hanging out on a hammock with friends or by yourself has become the next big thing. The word has even been turned into a verb, making a sentence like, “I was hammocking the other day, when…” completely logical and grammatically correct. (According to some people). Many of my friends and roommates have jumped on the hammock train, and have almost convinced me to do the same. Here are just a few of the many reasons why you should also try out hammocking if you...

You Won't Sleep After Watching These...

By Jordan MacGillivray
October 19, 2014 - 1:26pm

Halloween is right around the corner, and what better way to embrace the season than watching scary movies! If you are anything like me, you enjoy seeking out the scariest of all the scary and ranking them with ones previously watched. As a “professional scary movie watcher” here is a ranking of some of THE scariest movies of all time. 1.     "The Shining" (1980) READ MORE

5 Signs You're Having A Quarter Life Crisis

By Callie Byrnes
October 18, 2014 - 1:31pm

In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past few decades (or, you know, in your Netflix queue), here’s a newsflash for you: life is hard. As college students, we juggle classes, clubs, jobs, internships, social lives and the growing dread that comes with actually having to start making life decisions that affect more than just how hungover we are the next day. It’s pretty easy to distract yourself from it at first, but the closer you get to graduation, the more you realize that you actually probably have no idea what you’re doing with your life. READ MORE

The Best (and Worst) Halloween Candy

By Lilimay Bangoy
October 17, 2014 - 2:58pm

Halloween is coming up, and you know what that means?  Well, besides finding a sexy/hilarious/whatever costume.  It’s time to go shopping for candy!  With Target and a whole bunch of other stores offering tons of candy at dirt-cheap prices, it might be hard to pick the right kinds of candy.  Let’s be real, unless you’re buying candy for yourself, getting the right candy is (figuratively) a matter of life-or-death, especially when you’re giving said candy to a horde of little Elsa's and Spidermen.  So here’s a list of the best (and worst) Halloween candy! The Worst Candy READ MORE

Yes Means Yes: The Common Sense Law

By Kathy Hammer
October 16, 2014 - 9:15am

Recently California has come out with an outrageously smart law for universities. Nicknamed the “Yes Means Yes” act, it basically says that in any encounter, if the person has not audibly or explicitly stated yes, then it is a no. This seems like it should be common sense, but sadly it is not for most college campuses. With the recent struggles that KU has had with sexual assault, it would be great to see them take this law and run with it. I hope to see many other campuses across the country follow suit.   This video by popular news group SourceFed outlines the law pretty well.  READ MORE

3 Songs for Your Midterm Study Playlist

By Devan Schaly
October 15, 2014 - 10:36am

No matter where you go on campus, people are always listening to music- studying, walking to class, eating lunch or on the bus- we all need our daily fix. Now if you're anything like me, Spotify is the greatest invention since sliced bread and you have a playlist for every occasion. With midterms just around the corner, I'm here to help you beef up your study playlist a little bit. I've selected a few personal favorites that fit perfectly in the background of everyting from Intro to Political Science to Calculus and even Art History. Needless to say, Collegiettes™, I've got your back. READ MORE

Bizzare Sports

By Vanessa Lawson
October 9, 2014 - 8:33am

I was recently watching some YouTube videos when I stumbled across “25 bizarre sports you probably never heard of." There were five sports that ultimately caught my attention. This article is a going to debrief these sports. I will include the video that I saw on YouTube so that you can see the other questionable sports that were on the list.  1.      Bo-taoshi A Japanese sport that has two teams of 150 people. The objective is to simply try to pull down your opponent’s pole. Nevertheless, with 150 people I doubt the actual action of doing so is anything but simple. READ MORE