sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New Semester, New Me, Amirite?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s the first couple of weeks into the new semester, and everyone is sporting a new attitude. The beginning of a semester is secretly my favorite time of the entire year! There’s just something about buying new notebooks, colorful pens and shiny new pencils that brings me serious joy. Buying other things however, like textbooks, make me and my pencils want to run for the hills. Even I’ll admit that the start of a new semester can seem like a daunting time, but if you practice these tips, you should be stress free! 

1. Keep a Planner

I cannot stress enough how important this is to me. My brain does this thing sometimes (all the time) where it just does not focus and if someone tells me that I have to do something, it totally shuts down and travels to Tahiti. Like seriously, if I don’t write it down, it’s just gone. To keep myself in check, I keep a color-coded planner. Certain colors are assigned to certain tasks within my day, making it easy to prioritize things. If this intimidates you, start off slow: try color-coding one task at a time. 

2. Set Goals for Yourself

Writing down your goals for the semester can be a great way to keep yourself in check. This could be as simple as, “Get a GPA .01 point higher than last semester” or as detailed as, “go to the gym 4 times a week and only eat green things.” The sky’s the limit.

http://www.bobsearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/142661.strip_.gif

3. Go To Class

Okay, so if someone told me that I could get a good GPA without going to my 8 a.m. Western Civ class, I would probably marry them right then and there. While sleeping in is my favorite hobby, I know that my goal GPA isn’t going to happen if I don’t drag my messy bun out of bed and go learn about tiny sword-men with anger issues. 

4. Skip the Shots 

Oh Dollar Night, why have you forsaken me? And why do you have to be on a Wednesday when I have a morning class? I’ll have to pass this time, but you best believe I’ll be seeing you on Saturday night. Get ready. 

5. STUDENT DISCOUNTS

If there is one thing that I did not take advantage of last semester, it was the fact that people take pity on poor college kids. There are so many places that offer student discounts — for things that you can actually use. Find a great list here. Another great way to save money is to shop off-brand or at a dollar store. Why do I need to save money you ask? So you can have a killer spring break, that’s why.