Music Spotlight: West Coast Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

On Wednesday night, I had the pleasure of enjoying a show at The Granada. Needless to say, I was thrilled because attending concerts is something I like to do, but don’t get to do it often. It is always nice to go to a show and enjoy some awesome music.

The opening act was a band called Bleached. I have never heard of them before, but was excited to try something new. It was fronted by three women and a boy, as the drummer. They had a Joan Jett and the Runaways vibe to me. They were rockers at heart and they dressed cool too. They kind of reminded me of this book I once read called “The Disenchantments.” Except, these ladies can actually perform.

Let me introduce you to Best Coast, or if you already know them then you can enjoy them that much more.

Best Coast is a band that formed in 2009. Fronted by Bethany Cosentino, who provides a stella vocals to the laidback, California melodies. Their music exudes relaxation and easiness. It is very reminiscent of California and the 1950’s surfer music. Their show was everything I expected and more. I love when they sound better live, not that their album isn’t great. It just adds to my love for them. My favorite song from them is “Our Deal,” which I saw performed live. The music video was directed by Drew Barrymore. It stars people, such as; Shailene Woodley, Tyler Posey, Miranda Cosgrove and Chloe Grance Moretz, just to name a few. You should check out the video on youtube!

Here are some links below to my favorite songs in their performance.

I hope you enjoy their music. Their new EP is called Fade Away and comes out on Oct. 22!