More Than A Drink: 4 Favorite Lawrence Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I’d like to start out by admitting that coffee has never been my favorite. I love the smell and coffee-flavored ice cream, but I could never stand the taste of the drink. (Not black, anyway.) I feel a certain amount of defeat in this statement; however, I know I am not alone. Many people can’t truthfully say they love the taste of coffee.

But we drink it anyway. Whatever the name, whatever the taste (be it something frilly and fancy with chocolate and mint or maybe some vanilla and cinnamon or nutmeg), we all find something to sip on while meeting our friends or working on homework. It seems to be a culture in itself; an addicting, multinational culture. The appeal of the coffee house is not just in the coffee itself but also the tradition of the coffee cup or mug. It’s the recognizable smell of the coffee grounds, the appropriate mood lighting and the overall atmospheric experience; the often ridiculously small tables, open laptops, books and quite discussions.

The following four coffee shops are my personal (and many others’) favorites in Lawrence. After all, finding the right coffee house can be like finding a second home, even if you don’t drink it.

Alchemy Coffee and Bake House1901 Massachusetts St. 

The appropriateness of the name is evident in the potion-brewing feel of the small room, concrete floors and the alchemic-looking cold brew drip towers decorating the outside wall. The overall atmosphere is cozy and cool with a friendly community. On the far side of the room is a drink counter, with the opposite wall housing a fresh bakery. Outside is a cute garden sitting area. There is no menu, so you have the freedom to make personal requests. They are known for their cold brew; however, if you are not a fan of black coffee, you can choose to add a flavor or pick from an assortment of teas.

Recommended Drink: Cold Brew with chocolate almond milk

The Java Break17 E 7th St.

The Java Break is a vintage ‘50s inspired coffee house that is too unique not to experience. There are four separate rooms, each with its own appeal. One is a sharpie room where literally everything has been drawn on by sharpies (and you are welcome to join the fun). Their unique furniture includes vintage benches, booths, couches and chairs. There is art hanging everywhere and old cartoons and television shows being played on a loop, displayed on vintage TV sets. While there is not a lot of natural lighting on the inside, there is a nice outside garden area. They have a cereal bar, sandwiches, various flavors of chai and Italian sodas along with the expected coffee options and specialty drink list.

Recommended Drink: Jenny’s Julep – coffee with mint and house made vanilla

Z’s Divine Espresso and Coffee Roaster10 E 9th St.

The environment of this small coffee house gives off a generally homey vibe that immediately makes you feel at ease. The warm natural lighting radiates through large windows that open up the outside wall of the room. Your seating choices range from wooden kitchen bar stools to comfortable dining room chairs or a small couch. This place is usually quiet and great for winter studying. Not only do they offer coffee and an assorted list of specialty drinks, but they also have frozen frappes, 100% fruit smoothies, fresh bakery items and currently their delicious seasonal steamed apple cider.

If you happen to be on the east side of Massachusetts street there is another Z’s Divine Espresso located on the far end of 23rd street.

Recommended Drink: The Brass Monkey – Chai with espresso shots

La Prima Tazza638 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS 66044

Tazza has a classic coffee house atmosphere, set by a vintage feel and nice architecture leftover from the building’s prehistoric uses. There is a lot of natural lighting during the day that comes in through floor-to-ceiling length windows. During the evening there is acceptably dim ambient lighting that is perfect for late night discussions or simply relaxing with your favorite drink and a good book. It’s small but comfortable with a quaint appeal. Every month they hang art from local artists. 

Recommended Drinks: Iced Moroccan – a mixture of exotic spices and chocolate, Iced Grasshopper – mint and chocolate, or a classic Chai