The Meaning Behind Netflix and Chill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Ladies and gentleman, teens and tweens — let’s talk about an epidemic that is sweeping the nation. “Netflix and chill.” What does this mean? According to Urban Dictionary, this is when two people decide to watch Netflix, but quickly proceed to engage in sexual activity. This expression has been extremely popular since 2014, and it’s gotten to a point where we hear about this phrase every day. When will this madness end?!

I, along with others, am a tad bit upset because of the sexual connotation that this phrase has gotten. No longer are the days where you can text a friend to honestly watch a movie and chill. We now have to clarify as to what type of “chilling” is taking place. In today’s sexualized culture, hooking up seems to be the preferred way of interaction between people as opposed to dating and forming relationships. This is exceptionally apparent in today’s younger generations. Don’t get me wrong, exploring your body sexually can be exciting and rewarding, but when I say that i want to “Netflix and chill,” I simply want to watch something on Netflix and relax, no sexual innuendoes included.  

younger male writer from Chicago