Mean Girls Has Become a Musical And It Needs to Be Discussed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you’re an avid Cosmo reader, it’s quite possible that you, like me, have them to thank for being aware that the Mean Girls Broadway musical has officially opened its doors. Having been in the works since late 2017, the musical is reportedly longer than the movie was, but every bit as “fetch”. I’ll just admit it- I’m dying to see it, and I’m sure you are too.

image credit: url

It makes total sense that Mean Girls as a musical would be amazing, but fortunately, we don’t have to speculate. Although mixed reviews are circulating, many critics already agree that it is- Hollywood Reporter made it a point in their review to mention how well the old classics of the movie’s original dialogue fit right in with the new components of the musical. Entertainment Weekly left satisfied too, although they claim that before the show even begins, you’ll “already be laughing”. Say no more- I’m in.

image credit: url

Of course, this musical is not JUST our dream come true. Taylor Louderman, the musical’s Regina George, reminded Cosmopolitan that one big goal of this musical is to “bringing young people out, especially young women.” In a time when female empowerment is steadily continuing to grow in relevance, this show is one that its cast hopes the audience can walk away from with a feeling of worthiness and importance. It’s more than just music and comedy- it’s a message. With a creator as brilliant as Tina Fey, it’s no wonder.

image credit: url

I’m not quite sure I knew just how necessary the existence of Mean Girls as a musical was until now, but I welcome it. It’s safe to say that any Means Girls fan would do the same. As of Sunday, that dream has become a reality. A new Cady Heron, Regina George, and certainly, a new Glen Coco have hit the Broadway stage, and here’s to hoping it’s as fetch as we could all hope. 

Lucie (originally from Tulsa, OK) is a fourth-year journalism major at KU. Her favorite things include (but are not limited to) coffee, new music, life in LFK, and every dog in existence (they are all good dogs). While being involved in a handful of student organizations on campus, HerCampus was her first step into campus involvement and she absolutely loves everything it has to offer. She is ecstatic to be HerCampus KU's content copyeditor.