burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Look Good, Feel Good: Dressing For the Kind of Day You Want to Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

When I walk through the doors, all eyes are on me. As I turn to my best friend to ask if I have something in my teeth, her eyes widen and she quickly whispers in my ear, “your shirt is completely see through!!” To my horror, I look down and see my hot pink bra I’ve had since seventh grade completely visible. Panicked, I cover up with my heavy winter coat despite it being a whopping 78 degrees in the building. As I practically melt in my 8am biology class, my professor hands back our tests from the class before (the one I forgot to study for because I was catching up on season two of Stranger Things). Let’s just say I did worse on that test than the temperature of the room.

We’ve all had those days. The days where a combination of an itchy sweater, too-tight jeans, and a failed Pinterest inspired hair-do leads to just short of a catastrophic day. In my nineteen years of having one too many of those days, I’ve learned an important lesson: the only thing that is a better predictor of your future than your daily horoscope is the outfit you decide to wear that day.

Clothes are important. I don’t mean how expensive they are, or the brand that you’ll find on the tag. I mean your style says a lot about who you are, and what your goals/ambitions are for the day.  If you show up to an important interview in old jeans and a t-shirt with a questionable stain (is that cat puke?), before you even open your mouth you’re saying, “I’m lazy, and getting this job is not at all important to me. Oh, and I may or may not have a cat.”  

Picking an outfit can be a difficult undertaking. So here are some quick tips on how to “dress for success” for a variety of days.

1) All Business

When you are getting ready for a day with an interview, meeting, presentation, or pretty much anything written in big red letters on your calendar, plan in advance. This is the outfit that you want to try on the night before AND ask a friend’s opinion. Give yourself plenty of time to do your hair and makeup. You wouldn’t want to walk out of the house with only one brow done (unless that’s your thing).

2) Lazy Day

For a more relaxed kind of day, the outfit you choose should practically scream, “I am comfy and require minimal effort.” There is actually a mathematical equation for this option: baggy sweatshirt + no pants = zero responsibility. The only accessories you need are a fuzzy blanket and a cup of tea.

3) Keeping it Cute & Casual

Whoever said “beauty is pain” clearly never heard of leggings. Leggings are an easy pick for a day out with friends or running errands. Leggings can even make nice for a casual date. Simply pair it with a cute tank, jean jacket, and ankle cut boots – bam, you’re ready to go!

4) Night Out

Deciding what you’re going to wear for the night out with the girls can be a bit intimidating (example above). This outfit should be the one on reserve in the back of your wardrobe. The outfit that when you tried it on at the mall your mom said, “when will you ever wear that?” Take risks, show a little (or a lot) of skin. Most of all, this outfit should be fun. That’s the goal of the night isn’t it?

No matter what kind of day your shooting for, one thing to always remember: BE CONFIDENT. Whether you plan on walking the red carpet or simply going to class, the best way to guarantee a great outfit (and a great day) is to be comfortable in your own skin. And, just like picking an outfit, you are in control of your future.

Maddie is a freshman at the University of Kansas studying Psychology and Philosphy. Maddie is originally from Chicago but most recently lived in a small town of southern Illinois. While she has ambitions to pursue a Ph.D in Counseling Psychology after her undergraduate, Maddie is passionate about both reading and writing poetry. Maddie loves pizza, Italian greyhounds, and spending time with her friends and family.