This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

One of the best feelings in the world is being recognized for one’s hard work and talent. Former KU student, Lindsey Alderman @itzthelindz, has turned her dream into a reality and is on the road to fame with her musical ability.

Lindsey came to study at KU during the 2011-2012 school year to pursue textile design, but after some thinking, she realized that this wasn’t her true passion. She transferred to Johnson County Community College to finish general education courses and take some time to figure out what it was that she really wanted to do with her life.

Over the past summer, Lindsey entered a songwriting competition and was chosen for an all-expense paid trip to Atlanta, Georgia to work with major music producers. She met her current manager in Atlanta, who saw Lindsey’s potential and helped her meet with music moguls. Lindsey later was signed to Shongaia Onye Entertainment.

Writing her first song at age 8, Lindsey has continuously kept up with composing her own music and keeping her vocals intact. Having been involved with high school choir at Lawrence High, Lindsey performed solos her senior year and started singing the National Anthem at various sporting events.

“I have been singing for as long as I can remember, I would always make my friends sing along to old CDs with me when I was little,” said Lindsey. “I always knew that I wanted to pursue a career in entertainment. I never craved fame, but I wanted to captivate audiences worldwide.”

With Shongaia Onye Entertainment being located in Atlanta, Lindsey had to make a big change and move to Georgia to start her music career, but the move was not a big issue.

“It wasn’t as hard to leave my home behind as I thought because I earned the opportunity of a lifetime. Obviously I was sad to leave the people I love, but when something this huge and amazing happens, missing people from home isn’t my focus,” Lindsey said.

Lindsey’s music style is R&B/Pop and Hip-Hop/Rap, with some of her favorite artists being Chris Brown, Beyonce’, Usher and Mariah Carey. Aside from singing, Lindsey has interests in beauty, fashion and boxing. Her current goals for her music career are to become an international brand and inspire people through her music.

While she is not currently in school, Lindsey plans to make up her time away from education to focus solely on her music career.

“I can’t focus on school and give music my all. That’s how I believe the success came to me because when I decided to pursue music I gave it 110 percent. Not all careers require a degree and right now I am in a place where I need to focus entirely on my music career,” said Lindsey.

Lindsey moved to Atlanta the beginning of November to start her career, and the support she has from her friends, family and the whole Lawrence community is heartwarming. We are all excited to see what the future brings for this up-and-coming artist!

Junior at the University of Kansas with an addiction to coffee, warm weather, and Urban Outfitters. facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cecilia.h.cho twitter: https://twitter.com/ceciliacho92 instagram: cecilia__cho92