This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Name: Kristen Larsen

Age: 20

Year: Senior

Major(s): Vocal Performance and Italian

Hometown: Lindenhurst, Illinois

Relationship Status: It’s complicated

Instagram: @kristen1299

Why did you choose KU? I chose KU because it was financially better for me and because I had met the former theater department head at the University of Wisconsin Summer Music Clinic and I loved working with him.

What are you most passionate about? Well, of course I am passionate about music, but I also am passionate about helping the world’s orphans. I did two service trips to Romania and worked with orphans in 2011 and 2012 and it was really eye-opening.

Who’s your best friend? How did you meet? My best friend is named Erin Dulmes. We met in junior high when I transferred to private school and we bonded over our crushes and our notebook we used to write and gossip in. She also went to Romania with me, where we truly became “best” friends.

Favorite book? Movie? Song? My favorite book is a tie between To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Favorite movie…that’s hard! Anything Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep or Rachel McAdams. My favorite song right now is “Hello” by Adele… It is too good!

If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and why? Right this second, I would go to Florence, Italy because it is my favorite place in the world and it’s where I’d like to call home someday.

Who do you look up to the most?

I’d have to say my mom and dad. First off, they have an international love story which is awesome (she’s from Colombia), and second they work so hard to provide for my brother and I and help us in any way possible. Also they both speak multiple languages, which has inspired me to be bilingual.

Biggest accomplishment?

I guess I would say that for me, my biggest accomplishment is my travel experience and the wonderful people I have been able to stay in contact with over time.

Where is your favorite place to go in Lawrence? I feel like I go to Target like every day. Whether it is my favorite place or not is to be determined.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? I hope to be living in Europe and to have finished my master’s degree in Opera. I hope to be a part-time translator while pursuing my dream of being an opera singer.

Photos Courtesy of Kristen Larsen