Keonya T Jackson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Sometimes it’s as if two worlds are colliding when introverts like myself meet up with such joyful and social individuals like Keonya. A junior at KU (who is subsequently enrolled in mostly senior classes), Keonya is the definition of a social butterfly. An active member of eight, count them, EIGHT organizations including Student Union Activities, WOCC, KUSSHA, and the Marching Jayhawks, it’s a wonder that this girl ever has time to sleep or keep up with classes. But don’t tell her that. Keonya finds it a blessing everyday she walks on campus and sees friends that she’s made from all the clubs she’s joined. “I love KU and there’s just so much to do and so many fun opportunities to be involved in, I mean, why WOULDN’T you make the most of it?”

Majoring in Speech, Language, Hearing, and Linguistics, Keonya plans on continuing education after finishing her undergraduate degree in pursuit of a Masters. With a drive in wanting to help people not only does Keonya’s major fulfill such services but the other organizations in which she’s involved such as LeaderShape. “The first time I applied to LeaderShape I was denied and when I was accepted the second time I was so nervous going in but I kept the ideal of whatever the worst people can say to me is no, so I might as well try.” And through this opportunity Keonya is fast on her way to applying to research programs and instilling her own project.

But how does this girl get to know so many people? “I’ve meant all of my best friends through organizations but a lot of people has simply been through hanging out in random rooms on campus and attending lots of events.” Keonya also claims that the attractions towards her most likely stem from her love of talking. “I like to talk, probably too much but I try to be goofy and open with people.” She makes it a point to get to know at least one person in each class and often it leads to meeting their friend groups and expanding Keonya’s vast reserves of acquaintances.

And not to mention that many of these connections has led to her shaking hands with the President. “I was volunteering for the event and my friend and I were standing right there and when Obama started moving around, we got to shake hands with him! It was one of the best moments of my life!” And what an opportunity that is! Just from deciding to volunteer for an event (which she wasn’t originally supposed to be so close to him) Keonya had the awesome experience of meeting our nation’s leader.

So when asked if she had any advice for KU incoming and current students Keonya was very straightforward, “You need to get involved and explore your campus because if you don’t then you’ve missed a lot of your college experience.” 

As a Disney, dog, and superhero enthusiast I live for the outdoors (particularly my homeland foothills) and the unreal where adventures and the ridiculous are quite obtainable and/or practical.