Karvin Fernando ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Name: Karvin Fernando

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Electrical Engineering

Hometown: Colombo, Sri Lanka

Relationship Status: Single

Describe yourself in 3 words: Thoughtful, Innovative, Goofy

What are you involved in on campus?: Member of Theta Chi Fraternity, Former Vice President of Krehbiel Scholarship Hall, and Marketing Chair for KU South Asian Student Association 

Why did you decide to come to KU?: Deciding which University to attend was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. Being an international student I had to first decide what I wanted to study, then which country I wanted to study that subject, and finally which University I wanted to attend. I choose KU for the Engineering program, and for its rich traditions.

What was the hardest thing you had to adjust to when you moved to Kansas?: Honestly, coming to Kansas has meant learning how to adjust. Having lived on a small island, Kansas presents a vastly different culture. From the little things, like understanding why anyone would want to go out on a Wednesday night, to the big things, like understanding social cues. However, I am happy to say that Kansas has really become my home away from home. 

What’s the coolest place you have traveled to?: Having moved around a lot as a kid, I have had the opportunity to visit some really interesting places like NYC, Dubai, and London. But without a doubt, the coolest place I have ever traveled to was Great Bend, Kansas. With its drag racing track, bi-weekly Lawn Mower race, and notably sized Wal-Mart, there is always something to do in Great Bend.

Who’s your celebrity crush?: Lola Bunny- why are you so perfect?! 

What’s your favorite college memory?: First “Dollar Night” at the Hawk. A one-night representation of the “American Dream.” 

What’s your favorite thing to do in your spare time?: I love to play music.

Biggest turn on?: Confidence- it can blow me away! 

What do you look for in a girl?: Trustworthiness- it goes without saying.

What’s your hidden talent?: I am an amazing shower singer; pretty terrible anywhere else.

What advice do you have for the class of 2018?: In 2018, you will be educated and receive a degree as a certificate. You may think of it as the ticket to good life, but think differently. It is your ticket to change the world. 

Accounting & Finance double major at the University of Kansas