Kansas: A Win for the Underdog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

source: http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/ap_alds_angels_royals_basebal…

With the crazy-impressive turn for the amazing in the Royals’ season, which has landed them as contenders in this year’s World Series, Kansas sporting teams are finally beginning to gain some of the recognition they have long deserved. After the sharp decline in the Royals’ luck after their 1985 World Series win, the team became the laughing stock of the league and people no longer paid it much attention. However, now people from all over the world are cheering for the Royals to “Take the Crown.” I can’t help but to jump on the bandwagon for this one, either – there’s nothing quite like the classic underdog story to help me fall in love with a team, and I know I don’t stand alone. It’s what makes movies like “Rocky,” “A League of Their Own” and “The Karate Kid” timeless favorites. The team roster is also something that makes the Royals stand out – from the impressive talent of rookie pitcher Brandon Finnegan to the great leadership from infielder Mike Moustakas, each player has captured the hearts of fans.

Another team that has dominated in its field (pun certainly intended) is Sporting KC. This team has begun a soccer revolution, not just in Kansas, but in the rest of the United States as well. No longer is soccer something to be mildly impressed by every time the World Cup comes along – it is now something that glues us to the edges of our seats every time a team like Sporting plays. The organization has also shocked many with its innovative uses of technology, which helps to take the fan experience to the next level before, during, and after games.

source: http://thecup.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/sporting-kc-2012-usoc-champs…

As a Kansas native, I can’t help but to hold my head a little higher and smile with pride for my state every time someone comments on the impressive turn in Kansas athletics. I am confident that these teams, as well as other greats such as the Kansas City Chiefs, will continue to take the rest of the United States, and the world, by storm.