etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kameron Mack and Success on the Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

KU alumni Kameron Mack is nearly impossible to schedule an interview with. When he’s not at New York Fashion Week, on air as a TV host for Revolt or making some final edits on a show he’s producing, he’s traveling or in meetings to make those things happen. He recently accepted an offer to stay on full time with Complex, a company that began as a magazine and continues to grow. In fact, his main concern at the time of our interview is getting to California for the first annual ComplexCon, which he had a hand in planning.

“It can get overwhelming,” Mack said. “I just found out that we were even going to LA late last week. Now here I am now trying to book interviews with Snoop Dogg and if Kylie Jenner’s gonna be there[…] This is on top of all the other daily responsibilities that we have to do, and each day we still put up ten videos.”

Mack graduated from KU in 2012 with degrees in broadcast journalism and dance. During his time in Lawrence, he was highly involved in organizations that he credits for developing the skills he needed as he forged a path to New York. As a member of Student Senate, president of the Black Student Union, a member of the Big XII council and a full time student, Mack got a taste for what a fast-paced life was like. He also had a hand in creating a more pop culture-centric show under KUJH-TV.

“We wanted things to be more entertainment based, so we created the KU Insider which spoke more to our interests, which I feel like is something that really stepped out of the box of what we were told was in our reach to be journalism students. Being able to have an idea and to see that idea through, even when there were people who didn’t see it or there weren’t those kinds of television shows running at the time [developed skills for my future]. “

It’s apparent to anyone who speaks to Mack that he has a passion for what he does. His determination during an internship called the International Radio and Television Society summer fellowship program landed him a job offer only two weeks in. One week before the fellowship ended, Mack returned to his native Wichita, Kansas to retrieve the rest of his things.

“New York is flashy, really beautiful, fast-paced kind of city and you really have to know what you’re getting into before you even step foot off of that plane,” said Mack. “When I got here I was like, ‘Kameron, you really are not in Kansas anymore, it is game on. People give zero eff’s about where you’re from, what you do, what your dreams are, what you do, what your strengths are, how dope your resume is, what your GPA is.’ No one cares! At the end of the day it’s all about your hustle and how hard you grind. You’re only as good as what you’re doing the day of, no one cares about yesterday.”

Still, the transition between Lawrence and New York City wasn’t always easy. Mack worked his way to the position he’s in now by taking on opportunities with MTV and VH1 on lower levels. He says what he’s doing right now has been his favorite career experience yet.

“When I first came to New York, you have to crawl before you walk. I was working for companies that were dream companies for me, but I feel like right now at Complex it is the dream job overall. Because of the responsibilities I have, resources that this company is able to give me and all the exciting things that come with it, I feel like this is the full, total package.”

Regardless of where Mack is working, it’s clear that he’s dedicated to what he does and his passion will continue to propel him forward in the entertainment industry. Rock Chalk, Kameron Mack.

All photos credited to Kameron Mack’s instagram

Hannah Strader graduated from the University of Kansas in December 2018 with a degree in journalism and creative writing. She has past experience as both a writer and editor for high school and collegiate level newspaper staff and spent the summer of 2017 in London working with Healthista, an online women's health magazine. Her passions include but are not limited to Harry Styles, Taco Bell, witchcraft and books. She has two cats and can recite all the U.S. presidents in order. She's proud to call herself a Her Campus alumni. Formerly the Editor in Chief, Senior Editor, and staff writer at Her Campus KU.