Kailee Karr ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Name: Kailee Karr

Twitter Handle: @kaaails

Instagram: @kaileekarr

Year: Senior

Major & Minor: M-Global and International Studies , m- Business

Relationship Status: In a committed relationship with trail mix/single

Gender Identity/ Preferred Gender Pronouns: Cis female, she/her/hers

Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual

Where are you from? Cedar Rapids, Iowa

What clubs/organizations are you affiliated with? KU Women’s Ultimate Frisbee, Student Union Activities (SUA), Omega Phi Alpha Service Sorority

Hobbies: Being outside, learning new languages/learning anything new in general, reading, writing, traveling, running, hearing people talk about their passions, finding the extraordinary in the mundane

What are three words that describe you? Passionate, inquisitive and honest

My ideal first date would be… to a laundromat. Ask me about it! 

Usually, you can find me… playing Frisbee, trying a new drink at Henry’s Coffee Shop, writing in my eno under a tree, or at the Lawrence Farmers Market!

This year at KU I’m really looking forward to… making real changes in my micro-communities that will have lasting effects on Lawrence (for example, I’m starting a youth Frisbee league here in Lawrence that I really hope takes off). I also have a senior year bucket list that includes things like eating breakfast at every breakfast place in Lawrence, watch a sunrise on top of Bailey Hall, and running a half marathon.  

What attracted you to KU? My grandma lives in Overland Park so I came on a visit for her and stayed for me. The culture and atmosphere of Lawrence is intoxicating for me. It’s that intangible feeling of community and acceptance.

What is something you’re especially proud of? I captained the KU women’s frisbee team last year and we went to nationals for the first time in 15 years. I’m not sure that team will ever really know how much it meant to me.

What is something most people don’t know about you? I love to write. I write short stories, observations (I’m watching you), and poetry. I used to write a lot more but fell out of habit. After my trip to India this past summer I have been back at it. 

“[…] Things are vivid. Or they’re not. You run from it but it finds you. And all at once you’re struck by how utterly human you are.”

In five years I see myself… somewhere near mountains with a dog and a hammock. If I’m really living the dream I’ll be surrounded by people who love and challenge me.

What is your biggest pet peeve? People who don’t recognize the importance of language. The words we choose to articulate our thoughts are crucial and affect not only ourselves but anyone within earshot. I’m not saying don’t say it, I’m saying make sure it’s heard how you wish it to be.

What inspires you? The power of nature. I never feel more inspired than when I walk out of a building and the cold takes my breath away for a moment, or when whole towns are shut down because of a storm. It’s terrifying and comforting in a really complex, fascinating way. I love the fact that despite our incredible technological advances as a species we still have not conquered momma nature and we never will. I also get really, really pumped when I think about the power of the human mind.

Who are your role models? My mother, Valerie Peterson, Dan Russell, and Geetanjali Tiwari. These are all people whom I’ve actually met and felt inspired by to be better. If we got into my historic/literary role models we’d be here all night.

An excerpt from one of her favorite books, “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coehlo, – “Simply believe. Don’t doubt anything. You’re alive – believe in that. Let go of the idea that the path will lead you to your goal. The truth is that with each step you take, you arrive.” 

What is the last song you listened to? “Down in the Valley” by The Head and the Heart