Justin and Britney’s Canadian Tuxedo and more: Iconic Red Carpet Looks From The Past

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Early 2000’s fashion spared no one, not even celebrities.

1. Ashley Tisdale

Ashley Tisdale was a of mid-2000’s red carpet fashion queen. Don’t believe me? Just do a quick Google search and you’ll find quite a few interesting outfits. Here we have a series of iconic accessories, including a pink boa and satin belt. Not to mention the classic ‘tank top over another shirt’ look, absolutely perfect. Just look at how quirky and irreverent she is! Slumber party or movie premier? Who knows? What a crazy gal! Yo go, Ashley.

I’m not really sure where to begin with this one… I think this is pre-meltdown Britney, but who’s to be sure. Anyway, I gotta give her credit for matching her shoes (and hat) almost exactly to the color of the red carpet. 

3. Bjork

Okay this dress is actually pretty famous, as in even I knew about it and I ironically couldn’t care less about red carpet fashion. This is Bjork, who is a singer and has a really fun name to say, at the 73rd Annual Academy Awards. No swans were harmed in the making of this dress, although many an innocent bystander’s eyes were.

4. Jessica Alba

This is Jessica Alba, who I’m sure has been in plenty of movies but I for some reason can’t name one, at the 2005 Teen Choice Awards. 2005 was the golden age for layering, as you can see with Jessica here and her ultra-2000’s ‘dress over jeans’ look. God, it is hard to believe that people dressed like this, isn’t it?

5. Avril Lavigne and Kelly Osbourne

There is just so much angst in this photo, you can almost smell the hair dye. Where to begin? Well, for starters, take note of Avril’s oversized pinstriped pants and matching shoes, very punk rock. Let’s not forget about Kelly, who looks pretty much how I would expect Ozzy Osbourne’s daughter to look. She’s got the super long fringe bangs, miniskirt with a skull patch, and slogan tee shirt that doesn’t seem to be telling the truth. So alternative.

6. Rihanna

Wow. Just wow. So much going on here. So many conflicting styles. It goes from middle school girl circa 2002 to cowgirl in seconds and it’s just too much to handle. But hey, unlike a lot of people on this list Rihanna is still maintaining a successful career, so good for her. 

7. Christina Aguilera

We really did love our denim in the early 2000’s. Here’s Christina Aguilera at the 2001 MTV VMAs, rockin’ some flip flops and a denim beret. I won’t even mention her jeans, you can think of something witty to say about them.

8. Lindsay Lohan

RIP Lindsay’s career, RIP bootleg jeans with heels. Only one of you will be missed.

9. P!nk

99% sure this is P!nk, but wow this is a sight to see. The strangely (or strategically?) placed cutout on the hips of her jeans is making me quite uncomfortable and almost distracts me from the fact that her hair looks like one of those squishy koosh balls that you win at arcades.

10. Aaron Paul

Apologies for the lack of men in this list; it seems like people aren’t as interested in their red carpet looks and therefore don’t take as many pictures. Good thing Aaron’s outfit was documented though, because wow. He’s got that ‘I’m wearing a tie ironically’ look going on, and those baggy pants and backwards hat just scream rebel.

Let us pray that none of these looks make a comeback.

Marissa Ventrelli is a Freshman at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She currently writes for Her Campus and takes photos for her school's newspaper, the Daily Kansan. Her goal is to become a photojournalist for National Geographic but also to own several dogs and have a pathetically impressive collection of nut butters. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, hiking, volunteering, and writing about herself in the third person. After graduation, she hopes to move to Oregon where she will mock its citizens while simultaneously identifying with them on a deep level.