Is it Patriotism – or Nationalism?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

*Disclaimer* This article does not reflect the views of Her Campus KU as a whole. This is an opinion piece by the author.

I have to wonder. Where is the line between patriotism and nationalism? When does pride become arrogance? At what point does defense of country become more important than defense of human life?

Most importantly: have we crossed that line?

Ask anyone off the street where they find their identity and statistically, over half will reply that being an American is an overwhelming factor. It’s not wrong to love your country. It’s a trait we, as Americans, have always had: patriotism guided the writing of our Constitution and has had nothing but room to grow. However, in a country under the potential leadership of a man often compared to Hitler himself – another world leader whose platform relied on the concept of “The Others” – it’s important to stop and examine the morality behind our patriotism.

A few weeks ago, San Francisco 49er’s quarterback Colin Kaepernick remained seated during the performance of the National Anthem before a NFL game. When asked why, he replied, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

The public outrage over this statement, as one might guess, was loud. Angry Twitter users handed him labels ranging from “idiotic” to “un-American.” The condemnation was broad and clear; his accusers wasted no time in examining his motives before declaring him a traitor and no energy in understanding his perspective before announcing his treachery. Lack of American pride is wrong, critics of Kaepernick say, no matter what the reason.

The severity of the animosity being thrown at Kaepernick has made me wonder: is an all-or-nothing brand of patriotism inherently immoral?

Igor Primoratz wrote an interesting Stanford Encyclopedia article on this very topic, in which he compiled a variety of arguments surrounding this issue. On the difference between patriotism and nationalism, it is a common theme that “When [love for and identification with a country is] exhibited in a reasonable degree and without ill thoughts about others and hostile actions towards them, that is patriotism; when they become unbridled and cause one to think ill of others and act badly towards them, that is nationalism.”

I wonder: where does America fall on that spectrum?

In the opinion of Moriyah Ramberg, a junior from Topeka, the pendulum has swung towards nationalism.

“We’ve definitely taken it too far. It’s pretty obvious that [Colin Kaepernick]’s protest has made lots of people really angry at him, just for having a different life experience that has made him see America differently.” When asked if she thinks the response has crossed the line into the “hostile actions” that would fit Primoratz’s definition of nationalism, she replied, “Yeah, definitely. Have you seen Tomi Lahren’s response video? That’s pure ignorance.”

What do you think? Have we, as a country, crossed the line from patriotism to nationalism? Start a discussion; it’s an important one.

Kaepernick’s protest has started a string of similar demonstrations, as seen here.

Photos: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-pr… https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/01/colin-kaepe… http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/09/11/dolphins-players-kneel-during-n…

Libby Flood is in her final year of study at the University of Kansas, where she is pursuing degrees in History and Journalism. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she serves as an Ambassador for KU's Office of Study Abroad and recently spent two months completing an internship at the Centre for Investigative Journalism in London, United Kingdom. Her favorite things include travel, her dog and Pinot Grigio. To see her complete portfolio or to find contact information, visit www.libbyflood.com. Follow on Twitter, Instagram or Linkedin