This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Have you ever worried yourself sick with the fear of what you’re going to do AFTER graduation? Let’s not kid ourselves, no matter how sure we are with our goals in life, we’ve all had moments of panic when it comes to thinking about the future. Isaac Bahney (@IBahney94) knows exactly what that feels like, and that’s why he is one of the co-founders of the new organization on campus, Student Career Navigators. When asked what exactly this new organization is and how it came about, he replied:

“Basically, it’s an initiative that my Student Senate coalition started last year. We wanted to emphasize the Career Center. A group of five people came together and we talked with the administration at the Career Center. We asked how we could help them, because our biggest goal with it was to help market the Career Center and be that connection between it and the students on campus. The career offers so many great services and unfortunately not all students are aware of that. We want to make students aware of all the great things it offers. I believe what needs to be more stressed at KU is preparation for life beyond KU. Speaking personally, I’m still unsure of what I want to do with my life and I know other Jayhawks are in that same boat. That’s where the Career Center comes in, their job is to help you figure out what’s best for you and what you should be doing now so you can get a job you’re happy with.”

What a way to take initiative in not only your own future, but the futures of your fellow Jayhawks, Isaac. But of course, serving as the Public Relations Coordinator for Student Career Navigators isn’t all Isaac does for KU. As a junior majoring in Journalism and Strategic Communications, Isaac never lets a minute of unproductively go by. He is currently serving as an RA for Hashinger Hall, Senator for Spectrum KU, Campus Coordinator for Hawks Helping Hawks, College Republicans Outreach Director, and ran for Student Senate with his coalition last year. It’s a wonder how Isaac finds time to sleep, isn’t it? Considering his experience with Student Senate is what gave him the boost to involve himself in the launch of Student Career Navigators, I asked how Student Senate came to affect his experience at KU. He replied:

“Last year I was walking to class one day and I saw a chalking for Student Senate, and I thought it sounded cool, so I went. I went to that first meeting and that day is what really changed my course here at KU. That’s when I really began to learn what Student Senate can do and what it can provide. Student Senate has a lot of power at KU, and that’s great because it means the students have a lot of power. I knew immediately that I wanted to get involved and that this was something I wanted to do. I mean, that’s why I’m in there, that’s why I’m doing it. Every day I’m looking to see different initiatives, see what people want. I research other universities to see what they do because maybe we can try it here. I want to be able to graduate from KU and say I really left an impact at this Universities. I want to make a difference and I want to make this campus the best it can be. When I talk to my residents, I suggest things that I like to do obviously, but when I talk to them I try to see what THEY are interested and what THEY like to do and find something based off of that. For me, it’s Student Senate. I think it’s an amazing way to get involved. Student Career Navigators, an amazing way to get involved. And if that doesn’t suit your fancy, there are hundreds and hundreds of organizations on this campus. There are so many ways you can give back to KU, to Lawrence, you can give back to the State, to the Nation, and to the world. Just be open to exploring those possibilities.”
Good to know that chalking really does work! And to think, just by walking to class, Isaac saw a chalk that ended up shaping his entire college experience. If this tells us anything, it’s that getting involved with your school isn’t just good for resumes and how it looks on paper, but it really helps shape the person you become. Isaac is a perfect example of how easily just going to one meeting can open up an endless amount of doors. I asked Isaac what exactly it is that he wants to gain out of going to KU, and his response was more than perfect.
“I want to learn to get the tools to be able to make the largest impact I can on society. I want to be sitting on my death bed one day and look back, and be proud of what I accomplished. That doesn’t necessarily mean getting a high paying job or traveling all around the world, just making an impact and making the world a better place. I’m not quite sure what I want to do, but I know that’s what my main goal is.”
Well Isaac, it certainly looks like you’re on your way to doing just that. We should all be reaching toward a goal like Isaac’s. But even if you don’t know what your goals are going to be, that’s okay, because Isaac and the Student Career Navigators are more than willing to help anyone else who struggles with the feeling of “unsure.” And if you’re at all interested in the Student Career Navigators process or even joining the ranks, feel free to email Isaac at Isaac.Bahney@gmail.com to ask any questions. But in the meantime, keep up the good work, Isaac! You’ll do great things someday if you keep that goal-oriented mind-set!
Jacey Bishop currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief/President of Her Campus KU. In the past, she has served as the Development Director and the Events Director for HCKU, as well as serving as a content contributor for the past three years. Jacey is currently in her final year of study at KU for her Bachelors of Social Work and English, as well as a minor in Communications. She is very active on the KU campus, participating in Student Senate, Multicultural Scholars Program, She's the First, and KU Student Ambassadors. You can contact Jacey at jaceybishop@hercampus.com.