andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

For The Independent: It’s Time To Go Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

There comes a time in your life when it’s time: time to go home. It’s not very likely that this feeling will hit you all of a sudden or be some sort of obvious sign pointing you home. It’s a subtle tap on the shoulder, a reminder that occasionally, it’s not a bad idea to look back and give thanks. Maybe you didn’t have a stellar childhood, or maybe you don’t have a place to call home, but it’s important to go back to a place that defined your childhood and shaped who you are today.

As an i-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-t person (I’m not the only one who knows how to spell that thanks to Lil’ Boosie, am I?), you often hesitate to revisit your roots, because you feel like you don’t owe them anything. You are who you are today because of the work, effort, and belief, of yourself and those in your life who wanted to see you succeed. And you did. You succeeded, you left, you are a remarkable individual. So why look back when forward is the only way to success? It’s important to look back for many reasons, but most importantly to humble yourself and realize you didn’t get here alone. 

Life doesn’t really take breaks for anyone – que sera sera and all that jazz. So, when life does throw obstacles at you, it’s important to remember where you learned to overcome them. You would not be who you are today without going through whatever childhood you did. Although you can do bad all by yourself, its important to physically go back and relive those moments when you weren’t sure if you’d ever get out of that place.

“That place” taught you a lot, more than you realize now or may ever be able to wrap your head around. The experiences had as a young adolescent are undoubtedly the most influential when shaping who you are today. It’s not a bad idea to go back to the spot that inspired you to grow, develop, and achieve beyond your wildest imagination.  Thank the people who shaped you and thank the place too.