I’m Proud to Be a Sorority Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

In the midst of all of the confusion for the past two weeks, I’ve noticed that many people have been putting down Greek life in all aspects and it’s extremely depressing to me.

I joined a sorority to get to know women who would love me no matter what; I joined so I could learn to be something more than myself. Today I wanted to tell you all why I’m proud of being Greek, and why you should be too.

Being in a sorority is so much more than attending weekly chapter meetings or living in a mansion, it’s almost a way of life. My first semester in my chapter, I met so many women who had been in my situation all too many times and they made me feel welcome in the house. I’m proud to know all of the women I’ve met there. 

I couldn’t imagine a world without my sorority, if it wasn’t for my recruitment experience, I probably wouldn’t be the woman I am today. I’ve learned how to talk to people; I’ve learned how to study and to be responsible. I’ve created friendships that I could have never expected to.

One of the many things that always bother me is when other people have so many things to say about Greek life and they really have no idea. Looking in from the outside, you can’t understand it, and looking out from the inside, you couldn’t see your life without it. I couldn’t see my life the same without my sisters. The girls who support me without asking too many questions, the women who are my home away from home.

I guess the point is simply this: don’t ever feel like being Greek is holding you back. You are all amazing women, even if you aren’t Greek. But, if you are, you should be proud of the women you’ve become in this opportunity that you decided to take on. I’m so proud of being an Alpha Delta Pi, and I couldn’t imagine a life without my sissies. 

Being Greek is something you become, yes. But, it’s something that becomes such a large part of you. Feel proud to wear your letters off campus and into the world. Because according to Luke Bryan, there is nothing better than a sorority girl.

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_