How To: Transform your T- Shirt into a Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Bags are a big necessity being a female. Different outfits require different bags to complement you and lately I’ve noticed that tote bags are much too expensive. Therefore, I have found a way to make my own personal tote bag without the high price.

First grab a t-shirt or buy a t-shirt (preferably an inexpensive one and a thick t-shirt for the purpose of sturdiness).

Supplies

• Your crazy cool T-Shirt
  • A Pair of Scissors
  • A washable marker (Optional)

Step 1: Cutting the sleeves of the t-shirt

To have identical sleeve cuts, you can fold the shirt in half and cut the sleeves off. However if your t-shirt is very thick material to swiftly be able to cut, you can use the already cut sleeve as a guide.

Step 2: Cutting the Neckline

Now we proceed into cutting the neckline. If you want  a round shape it is convenient to use a bowl when cutting.

Step 3: Determining how deep you want your bag to be  

Turn your shirt inside out. Determine where you want your bad to end in length. In this step you have the option to use a marker for measurements.

Step 4: Cutting into fridges

Now with your scissors you will cut segments of the shirt into fridges. You have to cut both sides of the shirt together, so the fridges are the exact same measurements.

3/4 to 1 inch apart is a good measurement to cut.

Step 4: Tie the Fringes 

Now you take the first pair of segments and tie them into a fringe and then tie it into a knot. When you have done that to all the segments across, you should have a gap between each tied fridge. Now you take the fridges and tie it to the next closest fridge.

Your bag should  now look something like this

And Voila! You have your own handmade T-shirt bag , who can say they made their own bag?

Photos Provided by google, giphy, and tumblr.