courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Plan the Best Friendsgiving!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s that time of year again! The second October 31 came to a close and you stuffed yourself enough with candy, obviously, all you can think about now is that pile of mashed potatoes on your plate and some of your best friends! Thanksgiving with family is great, but after nearly a semester without our high school homies and too many essays, a Friendsgiving is exactly what you need. Oh but of course, it has to be perfect, it is going to be perfect! Take notes, and here is how you can have the perfect Friendsgiving this November!!

1. Go for a Potluck!

Save the classics for the fam, because there is nothing like kicking back with your bff’s and your favorite foods. Have everyone bring something! The bigger the range of food, the better the Friendsgiving. Popcorn, brownies, fruit, mac and cheese—only the whole shebang will have to do!!

2. Watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving!

Do you remember being a little kid watching the Charlie Brown specials while wrapped up in a big blanket? Even if it was Christmas or Halloween, a little piece of childhood always completes a sentimental time with good people. Plus, it is something that everyone knows and loves (at least they should, duh)! Charlie, Lucy, Pig Pen, Sally, Linus, Peppermint Patty, and Snoopy—invite the whole gang!

3. Games

Nothing brings a group together like a good game of Pictionary, charades, or Scattergories! Occasionally, a few rivalries and competitive sides arise but a friendly game creates a comical time that gets everyone involved. Whatever your type of game may be, be sure to pack it for this epic night!

4. Pie!!

Thanksgiving wouldn’t be Thanksgiving if pie wasn’t involved. I don’t care if it is a pie chart—pie is the definition of thanksgiving. Bring all the flavors, chocolate silk, cherry, and the fan favorite, PUMPKIN! Don’t forget the whipped crème to put on top!

5. Football

This idea might depend on your weather conditions and/or family interests in sports—nonetheless, you could play some flag football, or just watch it on TV! This time of year it is practically on every channel and if you aren’t a fan, just cheer along like you know what is happening. Just like the pie, Thanksgiving needs football to thrive.

6. Hand Turkeys!

We have the food, the television, and the games covered—but this is ACTUALLY the Friendsgiving party maker. You’ve known how to do this since you could hold a marker in your hand. Grab paper, scissors, markers, and maybe some stickers, and get festive! Need I tell you the steps? You pro-hand turkey artist, you’ve got this one in the bag.

7. F. R. I. E. N. D. S.

F.R.I.E.N.D.S. fans know exactly how FRIENDSgiving ought to go. You know the episodes and jokes. Once Charlie Brown is over, it is time for the “big kids” to kick it in gear and laugh at Monica, Chandler, Joey, Phoebe, Ross, and Rachel as they count the states, get heads stuck in turkeys, and create monumental thanksgiving memories!

8. Your BFFS, DUH!!

Friendsgiving is about the besties!!! Rejoice after the essays are over—even if only for a few days—and you get to hug your best friends whom you haven’t seen since summertime due to this fun journey called college. This is your time to laugh and reminisce. Invite all the people that make you happy and go have a killer Friendsgiving!!!

My name is Grace, I am 18 years old, and I am currently studying Spanish and Journalism at KU. I'm originally from Omaha, NE and a few of my passions are travel, writing, art, reading, and telling stories. I aspire to travel the globe and my life is mainly centered around figuring out the world. Whether that be languages, traveling, or hearing from other people about their experiences, I love to seek and connect. I hope to share my stories while also be influenced by some of yours! Never stop being curious and do what you love!