This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With the holiday season coming up, many of us will face negative body image thoughts. During the holidays we tend to feel bad about how much we eat or feel less motivated to work out due to the cold weather. However, we cannot let this time of year get us down! Here are some little things you can do to stay healthy and happy throughout the most joyful time of the year.

Accept your body. There will always be something you wish you could change, but instead of focusing on the negatives, think about the things you do like about yourself. Take pride in your physique. Find things about your personality that you enjoy. The more positive you are, the better you will feel about your body and wellbeing. 

To gain confidence, exercise with some of your friends. Find a physical activity that is fun and works well with your schedule. Whether it be going to climb the rock wall at the KU Recreation Center, or swimming some laps with your friends, finding any way you can to exercise in a fun way will help you gain a more healthy mental attitude toward your body. With finals and tons of holiday food on the horizon, it is very important to exercise as frequently as you can throughout the week in order to keep a positive, healthy mindset.

With that being said, the stress of school and eating too much during the holidays can cause us to think negatively about our bodies. Don’t let this happen to you! Focus on the positive aspects of yourself, frequently exercise, but lastly – just breathe. The more time you spend stressing over your appearance, the worse you are going to feel about yourself. Take time to just relax, especially when you are cramming to study for a final, and realize everything will turn out okay. Try and get a good night’s sleep as often as you can, and stay organized throughout this stressful time. Don’t let bad habits such as all nighters, snacking, or sitting for a long period time become the norm for you. The more active, organized, and rested you are, the more you will be able to appreciate yourself ans stay positive. 

University of Kansas Journalism School Student